Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > does this sound crazy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Jah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default does this sound crazy?

i wanted to try to make a spicy smoked pale ale to compliment bbq.... would this be ok or flat out disgusting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Iordz
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds good to me! I really enjoy smoked beers, although I have not has a spiced smoked beer. If you get the balance of spices to smoke to beer right, it would be a wonderful beer. Check the recipe database on the site for a good smoked beer, or take a pale ale and replace some of the pale malt with smoked malt (I would recommend starting at 5% smoked malt). Please note that if you are making an extract brew the smoked malt has to be mashed, steeping it will add smokiness, along with a lot of starch.
At the end of your boil add some spices that you think would compliment the beer and the smokiness. I would caution you to use less spices than you might think are neccessary, because if you overspice it will be difficult to fix the beer, but if you underspice you can add more to the secondary. You might want to use less hops to allow the smokiness and spices to come through.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Jah

Recipes 

i was thinking for the spices just a small pinch of ancho chile powder and paprika. i would probably add this in the secondary and then again before bottling if needed. i guess its worth a try.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4688 Times on 4344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah
i was thinking for the spices just a small pinch of ancho chile powder and paprika. i would probably add this in the secondary and then again before bottling if needed. i guess its worth a try.
If you arent sure, try dosing a bottle to see if you like the combo. definitely wwant to wait til secondary otherwise any aroma you may be looking for will get scrubbed out.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been wanting to try a smoked beer myself. If you end up trying, please post your recipe and results.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think the smoked pepper beer is a great idea, but I question your pairing of the smoked beer pepper beer with BBQ, the flavors of the BBQ and the beer are going to be very similar especially if you spice your beer the way you spice your meat. I think you should try and come up with a recipe that will compliment your BBQ as opposed to meld with it... but that is just my 2 cents.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 02-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I totally agree. A compliment to BBQ would be a nice clean pale ale or hefe. Spice vs. Cooling, Yin and Yang..

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-13-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 96

I dunno, whenever I have smoked beer, I want to have BBQ.... but then again, I always want to have BBQ (and I always want to have smoked beer).

I'd suggest that you give a classic rauchbier a try, if you can find one. Are you an extract or an AG brewer? Rauchmalt does require at least doing a partial mash, so keep that in mind. Stay away from peated malt; it's OK in certain recipes, but it's not that classic BBQ flavor that it sounds like you're looking for, it's harsher, almost acrid.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a really nice Serrano Chili Beer on tap now. It's a very light chili flavor. Just a hint of heat comes through after about 3 beers.

If I were to make it again I would add 50% more peppers.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #10
RJRobb2
Recipes 

I think that sounds really good. If you go through with it, I would love to hear how it turns out.

Quick Reply