*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > does roasted barley and biscut gel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 AM   #11
Pommy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Im currently drinking an Irish Red with 2oz roasted barley and that gives it quite a bit of flavour, it was quite strong to start with but three months on its mellowed nicely. I havent had any experience with victory and biscuit malts yet but that level sounds about right to me for the roasted barley. It sounds like a tasty brew so far to me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 03:38 AM   #12
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
Im currently drinking an Irish Red with 2oz roasted barley and that gives it quite a bit of flavour, it was quite strong to start with but three months on its mellowed nicely. I havent had any experience with victory and biscuit malts yet but that level sounds about right to me for the roasted barley. It sounds like a tasty brew so far to me
Pommy thats great information for my brew, thank you. I think I'll up mine from 1.5oz to 2oz just to make sure I get the roasted flavors.

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Old 05-15-2010, 04:09 AM   #13
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The taste is certainly there in my Irish Red but that is with just pale extract and a lb of light crystal. I think 2oz would be what I would go for. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
TheGeek
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Some good advice here. I've also been looking at roasted barley for my own Irish Red recipe and was unsure of a good starting point. I was thinking 3oz but 2 might be better. I'm using it primarily for color but also to counter my biscuit/carapils, the first batch came out just a touch too malty.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #15
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

yea 3oz might end up a little overpowering

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Quick Reply