The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does oxidation have visible signs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
fotomatt1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Does oxidation have visible signs?

My pumpkin beer has been in the secondary for a week and a half. It's my first time using a carboy (better bottle to be more specific), and for some reason last night I started worrying about the stopper forming a good enough seal. I'm sure it's fine...just curious if oxidation has any visible signs?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No visible signs that I know of. Don't worry about it...chances are very slim that you have oxygen leaking in. Even if you did, there's enough gases inside to push it out that it wouldn't matter.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

a bad seal on a stopper would not cause oxidation. CO2 is heavier than air and will form a protective blanket on top of your beer that will not be penetrated by the air.

Oxidation does have a visible sign of sorts. It is a picture of a really nervous newbie who keeps playing with his beer until his fidgeting around with it causes air to mix in with the beer. It is rare but much more prevalent among NERVOUS NEWBS.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Dasbootjoe Likes This 
Old 10-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It'll be fine, the beer will still have enogh CO2 blanket to protect it. If the temperature drops, then it may create a vacuum and start sucking the airlock water back in the beer. I have this problem in the cellar when we go from summer to winter.

No visual signs of oxidation that I know of, but I've NEVER had an oxidation problem.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
fotomatt1
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hahah....I don't fidget with it even though I want to. My beer is in a fermentation chamber built out of a wine fridge....it has a glass door so I can see what's going on without ever opening it. It's basically been at a constant 68 degrees since brew day. Building that was the single best thing I've done so far...it's nice not having to worry much about regulating temperature!

Quick Reply