Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does it make sense to cook the wort for 30 min. before you add the first hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
jumertens
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does it make sense to cook the wort for 30 min. before you add the first hops?

Hello everybody,
I just joined the forum today. Guess the initiative reason is that I have a question regarding a all grain brew recipe. It's a wheat beer recipe I found at a brew sullpy store in Cincinnati, Oh. I brewed the malt exctract version a while ago. Today I'm into all grain brewing so I brewed it today. Here is the question: The all exctact version says to boil for 60 min. and add 16g of Cascade hops in the beginning. The all grain version lets you collect 7 gal of wort, boil it for 90 min and collect 5gal. The first hops are added after 30 minutes?
What sense does it make to add the bittering after boiling for 30min without adding anything?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
chrismcdaniel3128
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 28

just a guess, but i would guess for your boil off amount

Old 01-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 134

a 30 minute addition will add a little bitterness and a little flavor with a hint of aroma.

I have 2 hefe recipes that I brew, one has an ounce of hallertau split .75oz at 45 min and .25oz at 15 minutes.

The other one has an oz of hallertau at 60 minutes and an oz of saaz at flameout, this one also has an OG of 1.074 so it is a bit bigger than your typical hefe.

I am sure this muddled you a bit more than it helped but the 30 minute addition lets that one bit of hops to add both some bitterness as well as flavor.

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #4
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

They might intend for you to wait for the hot-break. After it starts boiling you'll notice foam gathering on the surface, then eventually it mostly falls to the bottom. You can put your hops in then. People usually boil their bittering hops for an hour, but a few extra minutes won't hurt, and supposedly you get (a little) more bitterness up to 90 minutes. Otherwise, as above, the boil is mainly for hops and to get the appropriate amount of wort at the right gravity - also for sanitation, but that doesn't take 90 minutes.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If using pilsener malts, you'll want to do a 90 minute boil to avoid DMS issues. That's the only time I ever do boils for that length of time, mine are usually 60 minutes plus hot break time.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
azscoob
Here's the Beers!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 134

As for that boil time, I boil off a gallon and a half in an hour boil so I collect 7 gallons to get me 5.5 into the fermentor so a 90 minute boil would boil off more. does the recipe call for pilsen malt by chance?

Shirts n Steins: Grain Reaper Brewing

Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
jumertens
Recipes 

yes I guess the boil off amount is calculated correctly but the whole grain recipe could use less grain for a 60min boil with the same gravity

Old 01-14-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not less grain, less water. What's the recipe?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:34 AM   #9
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumertens View Post
Hello everybody,
I just joined the forum today. Guess the initiative reason is that I have a question regarding a all grain brew recipe. It's a wheat beer recipe I found at a brew sullpy store in Cincinnati, Oh. I brewed the malt exctract version a while ago. Today I'm into all grain brewing so I brewed it today. Here is the question: The all exctact version says to boil for 60 min. and add 16g of Cascade hops in the beginning. The all grain version lets you collect 7 gal of wort, boil it for 90 min and collect 5gal. The first hops are added after 30 minutes?
What sense does it make to add the bittering after boiling for 30min without adding anything?
The hot break strips a lot of bitterness out of the early hop additions.
I bring to the boil, and keep it boiling for 15 minutes to allow the hot break to subside, before adding the bittering hops. I find that 15 minutes is adequate before adding the hops, but 30 minutes may be better. I've never tried it.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:43 AM   #10
airving
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As I understand it, hop utilization is figured based on how long the hops are in the boil. Other factors aside, the contibution from the all grain addition at 30 minutes in (60 min left in boil) will be equivalent to your extract version addition at the start of the boil (60 min left in boil).

Quick Reply