Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does this look normal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
EWilly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does this look normal?

Hello guys, been lurking for a couple weeks, learning what I can... got a question about my Muntons Wheat extract kit. I followed all the instructions to the T, as well as sanitized with StarSan anytime anything touched the brewing tools.

I noticed that the airlock was bubbling away happily 12 hours later - then stopped about a day and a half later. I know that airlocks are not the way to measure fermentation, but having an Apfelwein carboy going nuts right next to it makes me wonder. I popped the lid to take a peek, but didnt think to grab a SG reading (I'll do that tomorrow).

here is what I saw, does anything look out of the ordinary?

Now the question is, would it be too early to rack it to a secondary - or should I just RDWHAHB, well, microbrew until the three batches I have going are done. (yeah I went nuts to start off )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Looks fine. Don't rack it right away. Added time in the primary fermenter gives the yeast a chance to clean up any off flavors they may have created. Leaving your beer in primary for 3-4 weeks and avoiding the use of a secondary is a great habit to get in to. The only time you should use a secondary is when you're adding something to the beer like fruit/chocolate/bourbon/etc.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looks fine to me. Looks like you had a pretty active fermentation, and it had a lot less sugar to eat through than the Apfelwein does. Leave it in there for a week, and then secondary it. The yeast still has some clean up to do.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
EWilly
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks much guys. Just wanted to make sure I was seeing just foam in there - not an infection of some type. I'll let it sit and start emptying more bottles in the meantime

Quick Reply