Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does this look like an infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 02:33 AM   #1
captainkirk83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Does this look like an infection

image-2574424389.jpg

Bottle was not shaken. It is just slow and steady fizzing over the top of the bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #2
fbold1
Brew Nut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Not at all, looks like foam. Probably not done conditioning.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 AM   #3
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

It's impossible to say. It could be improperly mixed priming sugar (some bottles got more than others), too much priming sugar, too early in the carbonation phase (not enough CO2 dissolved into solution), infection, etc. Need more details. How much did you prime with, how did you mix the sugar in, how long have they been carbing up, how does it taste?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 03-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #4
captainkirk83
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This is an Irish stout I brewed around mid January it was an extract kit by brewers best from my lhbs. Been in bottles about 6 weeks. I believe this was the last bottle to be bottled in this batch so I think it must have excess sugar from the batch prime that had settled to the bottom of the bucket

Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 AM   #5
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkirk83 View Post
This is an Irish stout I brewed around mid January it was an extract kit by brewers best from my lhbs. Been in bottles about 6 weeks. I believe this was the last bottle to be bottled in this batch so I think it must have excess sugar from the batch prime that had settled to the bottom of the bucket

I'd say that if it didn't taste sour or vinegar-y you're fine and, as surmised above, it's probably just over-carbonated from a denser concentration of the priming solution left in the bottom of the fermenter at the end of bottling.

BTW, the lollipop looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,medicinal.

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 AM   #6
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainkirk83 View Post
If you batch primed and stirred gently, you should not have had any excess sugar or settling at all, none.

If your conditioning temps ran much below 70*F, you may actually need to give these some extra time. Darker beers (and higher gravity ones) can take longer to finish in the bottles.

After conditioning 6 weeks, how long did you refrigerate that bottle before you popped the top? If less than 3-4 days, you may want to try longer in the fridge.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
fbold1
Brew Nut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If that was the last bottle, was it full? Sometimes a bottle that is partially filled will do that.

Quick Reply