Does longer mash time = lighter body beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started doing 90 minute mashes instead of 60 minutes and I'm noticing some of my brews are lighter in body despite higher mash temps and ingredients like carapils. Have you guys experienced this or am I crazy? Next brew I'm gonna switch back to 60 minutes and compare

Starch conversion to sugar is the primary process happening in the mash, but you'll still find some enzymes that break down large sugar chains into smaller ones. The longer you mash, the longer you leave these enzymes to cleave sugar into smaller chains and consequently a lighter body profile.

I started doing 90 minute mashes instead of 60 minutes and I'm noticing some of my brews are lighter in body despite higher mash temps and ingredients like carapils. Have you guys experienced this or am I crazy? Next brew I'm gonna switch back to 60 minutes and compare

If you really want the body you should probably iodine test to verify starch conversion and mash out to stop conversion.

Beta amylase should not be present at higher temp mash so there should be a limit to drying out unless your thermometer is off and you are actually at a lower temp.

Thanks both. Pablosbrewing - I do an iodine test, but I find it unreliable. Its the reason I pushed to 90 minutes because I kept getting traces of what looked like starch. My gravity readings were always spot on though, so I think my iodine testing was off somehow.

Latest posts

Back