Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does liquid yeast really give better flavors?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
sportscrazed2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Does liquid yeast really give better flavors?

just curious. the first batch i did was with dry yeast. my next batch will be using a smackpack. a smackpack takes 3 hours to incubate. with a dry yeast it would only take about half hour to rehydrate. i would love to brew today but by the time my yeast would incubate i wouldn't have time. is there any truth to liquid yeast giving better flavors? because the next batch i do i would love to use dry yeast seeing how you don't need to plan leaving out a smackpack overnight before you can brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
l1ranger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

you don't have to incubate, wait, etc with the smackpacks. its just a proofing of the yeast. you can open the package and pitch if you want.

I usually smack mine right when i think I"m going to get started and let it sit until pitching time, sometimes it swells, sometimes not.

Josh

bottle - some odds and ends
Primary - Belgian Pale
Secondary - smoked ale, christmas ale
on deck - brrrrr-ley wine

Old 10-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4276 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 822

Well, liquid yeast comes in more varieties, so when the yeast character is a large part of the beer you'll probably want to use liquid yeast.

Dry yeast is fine, and comes in several varieties.

The thing is, though, that you don't have to wait for the smackpack to swell.

There are some disadvantages to using liquid yeast perhaps, but waiting fo rthe smackpack to swell isn't one of them. You can let it swell, or not, and it doesn't matter one bit.

One of the disadvantages to using liquid yeast is that one package has a smaller cell count than the 11 gram dry yeast packages. That means that you usually have to make a starter with liquid yeast unless the OG is incredibly low. Also, liquid yeast tends to be more expensive.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

alright cool thanks alot. i was planning on brewing sunday morning and smacking the pack saturday before bed. so you are saying that it doesn't matter if it starts to inflate or not? i would really like to know my yeast is good before i even start brewing that way i can write the company that sent it to me for a replacement. the last thing i want is to have the wort ready and have a dud yeast. also can i smack it now let it swell and stick it back in my fridge until ready to use? will that hurt anything?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4276 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 822

Since you're not brewing until Saturday, why not make a starter tonight and then you'll know you have viable yeast as well as being closer to the optimum pitch rate?

I like the yeast pitching rate calculator on mrmalty.com here: http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html You easily see how much yeast each batch requires, and if you need a starter or not and if so how big.

Some other good info on yeast: http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.htm

Old 10-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
pwndabear
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 62

+1 yooper

in case you dont know how...

So you want to be a leader? You want to change the game?
Turn your back on money, walk away from fame.
You want to be a missionary? Got that missionary zeal?
Let a stranger change your life, how's that make you feel?
You want to be a writer but don’t know how or when?
Find a quiet place use a humble pen.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

the smack pack i have is wyeast 1469 and is an activator pack. the og of the wort i will pour it into is estimated to be 1043. that pack should be more than adequate right?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
Ichthy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Make a starter, you won't be dissapointed. you will have a cleaner fermentation that will properly attenuate. You don't know the conditions in which the yeast was transported and stored therefore the actual number of cells in the smack pack could be far less than what is listed on the package. A starter will ensure you have a healthy pitch of yeast.

And, listen to Yoop, she know's her stuff

Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
sportscrazed2
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i thought the whole design of a smackpack was to eliminate the need for a starter. the puffing of the pouch indicates you have viable yeast.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
moxie
Recipes 

My LHBS sells the Wyeast activator packs for around $10. This makes it pretty much the most expensive part of a recipe. I have always had good experiences with dry yeast in the past, but there is no denying the variety of yeast character you can get with a liquid yeast pack. This is something I have been willing to pay a premium for.

Quick Reply