Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does Homebrew age better than commercial beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Beer-Baron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Does Homebrew age better than commercial beer?

Hi there,

Everyone on here talks about waiting, and waiting and waiting on beer. It sounds like you guys want to age it forever.

Whenever I have commercial beer in my fridge that I forget about. It seems to go bad after a while. Gets a weird flavor.

Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
RushN24
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Its possible that by the time you get your hands on the commercial beer it is already a few months old. Some beers can tolerate being aged longer, typically darker beers with higher gravities. Others don't take to aging quite as well. Home brewed beer has to age (condition) before it is ready to be consumed that is why many people suggest longer fermentation periods and longer bottle conditioning periods to allow the beer to mellow. A few people here like the 123 rule where you do 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, and 3 weeks in the bottles for 6 weeks total, and others skip the secondary and just do the a 3 and 3 rule meaning 3 weeks in primary and 3 weeks in bottles.

“Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber Through the chambers of my brain -- Quaintest thoughts -- queerest fancies Come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today.”

-E.A. Poe

Old 02-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Commercial beer is typically filtered, and thus doesn't benefit from aging. Hoembrew is still on the yeast, and therefore not dead yet.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #4
Beernik
Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Depends on your commercial beer. I remember looking at a trappist label that said "Best between 2006 and 2008."

I also bought a microbrew barleywine. I opened one as soon as I got it chilled, didn't taste so good. I let it sit for a year in the cellar, tasted much better.

On deck: Barleywine, Belgain Golden Ale, Hazelnut Sweet Stout, IRA, Wit, Uinta Hazel Clone, Uinta Yard Sale Clone.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:59 AM   #5
FungusBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I forgot about a "Point Special" lager in my fridge for over a year. Wasn't really expecting too much of a flavor change, but when I tried it, it was seriously like drinking a bottle of water. It was super, super watered down. I wonder why?

Old 02-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Any beer that is pasteurized will stop improving in the bottle, and will only deteriorate over time. So aging regular commercial beers will serve no purpose - everything in it is dead.

Unpasteurized beers (yours, mine, a lot of craft beers) will allow them to continuously improve over time, but in my experience, this is only true up to a point. Eventually, they will no longer improve, and will start to deteriorate.

Hefeweizens are an example - as they age beyond a certain point, they do not improve. I have a batch of gluten free beer that seems to be going downhill also. On the other hand, none of my pale ales have lasted long enough to begin to deteriorate, but I assume they would at some point.

I don't think filtration affects aging one way or the other. Unless the filter was fine enough to filter out suspended yeast, it would still be alive and active, and over time, affecting flavors.

Black Diamond Brewery

Think global, drink local.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
brewmonk
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 84

I am unable to have beer, commercial or otherwise, in my fridge that I forget about. It seems impossible to not say "Hey, where did that last beer go?"

-I'm not getting older, but the floor is getting further away.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
don't think filtration affects aging one way or the other. Unless the filter was fine enough to filter out suspended yeast, it would still be alive and active, and over time, affecting flavors.
Many commercial beers use sub-micron filters that remove all yeast rather than pasteurizing. Those don't age well either.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

SteveM Likes This 
Old 02-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
Houblon
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushN24 View Post
A few people here like the 123 rule
Thats the worst rule ever.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houblon View Post
Thats the worst rule ever.
Haha it could be, but people like even numbers and its easier to work with weeks than days. I would complain about the 1 week primary. Some beers take longer than a week to ferment (I have been waiting on this one for 10 days now )
I'm not going to bother with a secondary anymore. Waste of my time and sanitizer... Beer will still condition itself, no matter what the vessel.
And 3 weeks for bottling? You guys should be doctors with how much patience you have!! I'm cracking em open at 1 week

Quick Reply