The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does extract in starter count as extract in wort?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Triocd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Does extract in starter count as extract in wort?

My recipe calls for 6lbs LME, but I wanted to try a starter so I used nearly 2 cups of my LME to make my starter. Since I only bought 6 lbs LME, I now have probably only 5 lbs to add to my wort when I brew. Will I technically be short some extract when I brew, or will I be at 6 lbs when I pitch my yeast starter?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Nanobru
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you add the whole starter in, youll be fine (utilizing 6lb of extract). The extract used in the starter (and the alcohol created) will be counted in your final brew. If you dump the beer, and only pitch the yeast into your wort (utilzing 5lb of extract), you would have to recalculate your brew for only the ingredients added during brew day.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply