Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does container size affect carbonation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
earwig
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Does container size affect carbonation?

On my next batch of brew I am thinking about bottling into a couple 2 liter growlers with swing tops so I can bring travel with them.

Is there a problem with bottle conditioning in such a big container (2 liters)?

Thanks as always.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes the larger the size, the longer it usually takes to carb and condition. 22's take longet than 12 ouncers.

I would be more concerned with trying to carb in a growler than how long it is going to take...Most growlers are not strong enough to take the pressure generated during the carbonation process...It's a lot different than transporting already carbed beer from a tap.

If you do a search for "growlers" you will find both successes and failures...I personally would not risk it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
earwig

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Most growlers are not strong enough to take the pressure generated during the carbonation process.
Thanks. I was considering the growlers with the swing tops and rubber seals like the grolsch bottles.

Quick Reply