The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does brewing cause you to drink more beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 02:20 AM   #21
darrenbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm drinking less here because even though I'm new at this I find my brews to be much more gratifying than the commercial beers I'm used to drinking, so I need less. Also everything I've brewed so far have been hopped beers, and even though I enjoy them, my taste buds can only handle one or two at the most before being overwhelmed.

I'm also conscious of the weight gain potential, so I also am trying to practice a little self-discipline.

I anticipate drinking more in the summer though, and I need to find a few lighter, crisp session beers to brew.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #22
Walking_Target
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

If you're the kind of guy like me who wants a beer at the end of the day (and usually has one, and one only), but does not frequently purchase beer due to odd working hours or etc. This can also be affected by economics, as in, i was a student about three years ago, and I'd drink almost exclusively my own homebrew, because for the price of a 24 I'd be able to crank out a batch of really good dark ale that'd last me three to six months.

If you fit the above, then yes, you will drink more.

Not because you're suddenly in a wealth of brew and can afford to toss a few back, but because you now have the stock on hand to go from "Y'know, a beer would go good with this pizza" to "Hold on, gotta grab one from the fridge"

Your consumption will almost definitely rise a little bit to start, but shouldn't be more than having a beer on a night you were too lazy to drive to the store.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #23
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I think I actually drink less because it has a better taste and is often way more potent than retail brands. I chill mine almost to the point of freexing and serve it up in a chilled 1 liter german beer mug and it seems to last longer because I am enjoying the nuances of the flavores I added when I brewed it. So it tend to swig and sip rather than guzzle and chug, But thats just me....
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:20 AM   #24
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

In my case, I brew more cause I drink more...gotta keep that pipeline full.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #25
clear
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Once my beer consumption peaked I started brewing...

Old 01-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #26
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My consumption didn't change after I started brewing... after having a kid though, it's gone down, she keeps me jumping!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #27
fuzzy2133
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 132

My beer consumption has jumped to about 4 times what I used to. However this is only a temporary thing; I started brewing in November, used to only drink wheat beers, right now I'm looking for other beer styles I like and if I did not start exploring beer I would get board brewing the same thing repeatedly.

Up Next: Pale Ale once things slow down on the weekends.
Primary: Empty
Secondary: 1 Gal Oaked JAOM (4/8/14)
Bottled: Vanilla Stout (5/18/14), Coffee Stout (6/22/14)
Aging: JAOM (4/8/14)
Drinking: Blend of 3 SMaSH's (Bottled Experiment)

Old 01-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #28
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

I def thing I tended to drink a lil more now like I did when I was younger. Loved beer flavor. Now That It finally hit home that beer weakens bones (partly from watching "bones"),I stopped drinking during the week,saving it for weekends. I have a bit less pain from some bad joints/pinched nerves & the L2 disc.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #29
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 12

In my case, yes, I drink more. Increasing enjoyment makes me want to drink more of it. Making it tough to keep in svelte shape...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 PM   #30
Fennis
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts

I don't think my beer consumption has increased since I've started brewing, but as others said it changed my tastes to more expensive beer. That is not to say I don't occasionally enjoy a BMC type beer now and then, but basically since I started brewing, if I do go to the store to buy beer, my personal little rule is if I buy a 6-pack of something, it must be something I've never had before or one of my new goto beers that I've discovered since I started brewing, such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Really I do this to see if I want to brew something along that style or not.

I remember in college that I disliked beers that were hoppy, I thought drinking a Bud was going for the heavy stuff. Now, I seek beers with character, flavor, and hops. So while it may not have really increased my beer consumption, I've never been a big beer drinker to begin with, its changed what I like to drink more than anything.

Quick Reply