The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Does a boil have to be 60 minutes long?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Knutz38
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Does a boil have to be 60 minutes long?

I'm new to this so bear with me.
I've gotten 2 kits, each from a different retailer - Midwest and More Beer. Both call for 60 min boils, but here's the thing. The Hop additions on both these kits are very late in the boil - in the last 15, 10 and 5 minutes.
This being the case, does the boil have to be so long, unless the extract takes that long to "break" or be conditioned.

Thanks for replies

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

No need for more than 15 minutes with extract.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1295

If the kit recipe has a bittering addition,then yes,you need to do the whole 60 minute boil. If it's using pre-hopped extract,usually bittering,then you can do a shorter boil for the flavor & aroma additions. But never boil pre-hopped extract for any length of time,as it changes the hop profiles designed into it.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Not to be a smart ass but are you sure you are not confusing the instructions? I'm aware that "all late" hopping is becoming more common, but the norm is a 60 minutes addition for bittering. I'm just wondering if you're seeing a 60 minute addition as being AFTER 60 minutes of boiling. Hopping schedules are backwards from intuitive.. a 5 minute addition is Tminus 5, not 5 minutes into the boil. If you're well aware of this, carry on.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
unionrdr Likes This 
Old 01-06-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
petrolSpice
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

What happens when hops are boiled for more than 60 minutes? 120 minute IPA comes to mind here. Why boil for 2 hours?!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1899 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Boiling drives off SMS, which are DMS precursors. Some malts require a longer vigorous boil to make sure all of the unwanteds are gone. Plus, boiling can cause some amount of caramelizing, so that might be desirous.

Then you have the hops to think about. Almost all beers have a 60 minute bittering addition. 60 minutes is the defacto standard for adding bitterness without flavor and aroma. It's possible to add enough bitterness with the late hops additions, like at 20 or 30 minutes, but this is relatively new, and mostly for American Ales like Pale Ale or IPA which are very hop forward.

Some of the popular homebrewers, like some that are found on The Brewing Network podcasts (Like Jamil, Palmer, etc.) tend to boil for 90 minutes, as they think it gives a better beer in the end.

You can do what you want, and there are no hard and fast rules regarding this, but whatever you do you have to live with the consequences for the full 5 gallons. I'd be leery about boiling for less than 60 minutes. That's a lot of beer to drink if it ends up with off flavors or underbittered.

Old 01-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 46

I've done 45 min boils with lighter styled beers where using 1 oz of hops in the whole thing was still a bit much so I reduced the boil to lower the IBU's. It was OK.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Quick Reply