Does anyone do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkman20

Reaction score
I made my second batch of beer over the weekend which was a lighter ale, and I read that LME tends to darken with heat due to the LME not being dissolved immediately, and I noticed that the LME syrup is a pain to stir in even when heated since it likes to stick to the bottom of the brewpot. So, I got an idea. I preheated about 3/4 gallons of water and set it aside and I added all of my LME while it was hot, just not boiling hot. This thinned out the LME a lot and gave it plenty of time to dissolve, and it was an easy pour into the main pot with nothing sticking to the bottom, which means less time off the heat of the burner and less time to get back up to boiling temp. It seemed to work out pretty well. Has anyone else ever tried this?

Instead of doing what you did, I used to scorch the &^%$#@! out of my boil pot. Then I would post advice as to how to remove scorched wort from stainless steel. Boiling white vinegar works pretty good. Your idea sounds better.

The biggest reason I found for scorched extract, cheap thin gauged pots. I started out using a cheap 20 gauge (?) stainless pot. That thing would burn water.

One more reason not to boil extract.

I never actually scorched anything to the bottom of mine, but I was more concerned about making the beer darker than it has to be. Also, when I take the pot off of the burner it loses a lot of heat and takes forever to heat back up on my stove. I figure the faster I can get it back on the heat, the more time I save reheating back up to a boil.

Yep, I did a little variation of this: I would pour as much of the LME into a bowl as I could, then put warm water into the bottle and shake it around to get all the stuff off of the sides, then pour that water into the same bowl and stir it all up. Makes for an easy pour.

You can do what I do for starters. Get a big bowl or another pot and a wisk, then pour your DME in and add water, then wisk until its dissolved. This works at room temperature, keeps clumps from forming, and allows you to pour directly into the boiling wort if you're doing it as a late addition, or start the boil at that point if you're boiling the DME for the entire length of the boil.

Do you guys still take it off the heat as you pour it into the brew pot, or do you find it mixes well enough to where you can just leave it on?

Or, once you have squeezed the hell out of the carton to get as much as you can - take a wine thief and draw some hot wort, put that hot wort in the LME carton, give it a good shake and pour all the stubborn LME into your kettle.

Back