Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > does all grain beer taste better than extract? or is it just an experience thing?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
brettamuss
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default does all grain beer taste better than extract? or is it just an experience thing?

Just asking?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Weizenheimer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Some will say yes...I say it depends on the style. Some styles/ingredients need to be mashed in where some do not (like rye and oatmeal.) You can make great beers with extract but all grain adds a challenge fun factor to it.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I just got into partial mash,& the nearest I can describe it is "cleaner".

Old 01-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've been doing all grain for a couple of years and yes I think it does. Case in point, I bought an extract irish red ale kit recently just to keep the pipeline flowing. It tastes like an extract ale (with that weird off flavor I have only ever gotten from extracts).

Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I'm not an expert, and I've never done my own All Grain brewing. That being said, here is what many people have told me:

1) Generally speaking, you can make just about any beer from extract and either a partial mash or steeping grains. I've made plenty of great tasting beer this way.

2)Some people swear they can taste a "twang" that comes with brewing with extract. I've never tasted this. I consider myself to have a pretty refined palette, and have tasted plenty of extract and AG brews. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist . .. just that I don't taste it.

3) Many of the "taste" improvements people see after they jump to all grain can actually be explained by the fact that when they jump to all grain, they also tend to upgrade their equipment (better burners, better wort chillers, better fermenters, etc.). If you were to upgrade your equipment the same way, and stick to extract, you'd probably notice a very similar quality increase.

4) In the end, the only TRUE advantage of jumping to extract is ultimate control over your final product. YOU determine exactly what is in the beer. You're not relying on someone else's malts. That being said, extracts these days are pretty high quality, and by properly adjusting the amounts you use (as opposed to just using "2 Cans") you can have a pretty similar control process.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Jayhem Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
brettamuss
Recipes 

How long does all grain take from start to pinching the yeast? From what i understand its takes a lot longer than extract? How much longer?

Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #7
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Most people say that extract has a bit of a twang, probably comes from the time between converting the sugars to boiling the wort. or could be something else. I think the biggest gain of all-grain is more control over the grains you use. Some grains cannot be steeped nor is there an extract option.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Cordane
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettamuss View Post
How long does all grain take from start to pinching the yeast? From what i understand its takes a lot longer than extract? How much longer?
Set up, mash, run off, boil, cooling, trasferring to fermenter, pitching, clean up. I can get it all done in about 5 hours with my equipment, but the equipment has a lot to do with it. Try to get other stuff done while you're waiting during the mash and boil.
Fah - a long way to the store!
So - I'll have another beer!
La - ... um... la la la la la laaaaa!
Ti - No thanks, make it a beer!
And that brings us back to Do!
Cordane's Rolling Kegerator (Image Intensive!) - 23 kinds of awesome!

Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
masterfool101
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 23

A general "brew day" for me (using extract) is about 2 - 3 hours (from when I start laying out my equipment, until I pitch the yeast and cover the fermenter, and clean up)

My friends that brew AG take about 6-8 hours for the same process. Maybe they're slow, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. They have to spend a lot more time on the mash than I do.

Nothing Beats a Fool's Luck . . . and I am the Master Fool.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
CraigT
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

And also with all grain you have the control over your final gravity by adjusting mash temps. You can make a sweeter fuller bodied beer with higher temp or dryer beer at a lower mash temp

Quick Reply