New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you think this will keep my supply up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 AM   #1
Dondlelinger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Do you think this will keep my supply up?

So my main goal here is always to have enough beer ready so I never have to buy beer from the store again.. I don't drink like a fish or anything but sometimes on the weekend me and the GF like to drink a few cases.

Problem was I made a brew and would condition it it would take about 4-5weeks then within 2 weeks we had no beer again. So i figured if I bought another set of bottles I could age 1, have one just bottled then start another one on fermentation and I'm hoping that would keep us in beer for awhile.

I think this should work but, I only have 1 fermentor and 2 sets of bottles (24liters each set)

You think this is enough or do I need 1 more set still or maybe another fermentor?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Get more fermenters. If you get thru a batch in 2 weeks, you need at least 2 fermenters, maybe more, and get more bottles.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 AM   #3
Clann
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You need more bottles and fermentors. I have 8 cases of bottles and 3 fermentors and I think it is just enough.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Brew how often you drink.If you drink so much per week brew that or twice that every 2 weeks. I brew small batch every week just because i dont (try) to drink more than a few a day,and like to make a different one every week,gives me something to look forward to every week,and to try a new bottle t every week, and even give some away and try some new/different craft store beers also.
p.s. so your just saying you drink like a fish on the weekends? ha

Old 04-29-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Yeah you will definitely need more bottles and another fermenter or two.

If you drink 48 beers in 3 weeks, you will have to brew every 3 weeks and never have your fermenter empty.

Brew beer and wait 3 weeks to ferment
Bottle fermented beer and brew another batch.

Now you have 48 beers conditioning for 3 weeks and another batch fermenting for 3 weeks (all rough timing).

After another 3 weeks go by, you will have 48 beers to drink and another batch to bottle...and then you will have to brew another batch.

So now you have a batch to drink, a batch conditioning and a batch fermenting. If it takes you 3 weeks to drink 48 beers, you should be fine with 1 fermenter and 100 bottles. BUT that means fermenting and condition both have to take only 3 weeks each and you don't drink 48 beers in less than 3 weeks...and we all know fermenting and conditioning can take longer than 3 weeks.

It would be much easier to get at least 1 more fermenter and have at least 150 bottles. This way you will have a nice pipeline going. The more you get, the more you will have in the pipeline and the less beer you will have to buy.

You could always get into kegging and screw bottles all together lol

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #6
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I don't drink like a fish, and I certainly don't kill a case by myself in a weekend. During the week I'll have one or two pints each night, with maybe one (or two on rare occasions) more each weekend day. I do my best to brew every other week/weekend so that I can try to keep a good pipeline going. That includes some bigger brews that need more time to age either in batch form, or once in bottles. I have three big brews in bottles right now, three 'normal' drinking batches (in various states of depletion) in bottles too. I also have three batches in process with the oldest coming due for bottling soon. I brewed on Sunday, and plan to brew again on next Saturday (5/7)... I hope to at least average a batch every two weeks for the rest of the year. So that's about 14 more batches including the one on 5/7.

I would also advise getting more primaries to use and enough bottles (or get setup for kegs) to keep the pipeline flowing. I would even plan to have at least one or two 'extra' primaries on hand, for when you either have a sudden chance to brew, or come across something that you just HAVE to ferment. That's why I also have a few strains of Lalvin Labs yeast in the fridge at all times.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 04-29-2011, 01:56 AM   #7
Dondlelinger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

If you guys consider 2 cases a week (24 bottles between 2 people) alot of beer then i guess I do drink alot. I don't drink at all during the week but weekends like having a few...

Wow really I figured :

2 weeks ferment

bottle first batch.
start 2nd batch:

2 weeks ferment..now first batch is aged 2 weeks
bottle 2nd batch

Start ferment 3rd batch.

2-3 weeks ferment First batch good to drink (4-5weeks), second batch aged 2 weeks
Bottle 3rd batch ...dont have these bottles.. So i do need minimum 1 more set of bottles.

Man every time I think Im ready to save money making beer I have to spend more..

I brew 23liters a shot by the way. so 64 beer per brew... so 2 cases = 24 beer.
so this will last me and the gf for 2 fun weekends, and 1 not so fun weekend.. lol (we dont drink every weekend so 3 weeks would be fine)

So if I got 1 more set of bottles I figure I can manage with just 1 fermentor but it always has to be fermenting.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #8
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 402 Times on 356 Posts
Likes Given: 1156

Think of a pipeline as an investment, you will have to spend some money to save some money and the saving part is a loose term depending how you drink.Its a hobby that can cost money,inniatially but you can make it cheaper than buying but if your more passionate about your "hobby" you may want to either make it simply or be fascinated by all the mechanics of it and invest more. But you still can make good beer for a fair price compared to store and may even think it more valuable also.
When people compare it to the store think of this. How often do you just blow your money on a bar, something you dont really want, food,things you dont need bla bla bla.Its kinda that way.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

How much does it cost you to brew 2 cases? It's got to be cheaper than buying 2 cases

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 04-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #10
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In the long run, you save money - after all about $.50 to $.75 per 12 oz bottle (US - extract, all grain is less)...
That means your beer is going to be about 1/2 of what you'd buy it in the store for - $9/6pk of craft beer. So with just one 5 gal batch, you save about $36.... (8 6pk/batch). Well then how much will you save per batch over buying? how much are bottles? at $1/bottle (unless you get them pre-filled and then at $9/6pk ) you are going to come out ahead in the long run... say about 2 or 3 batches

Quick Reply