Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you search before posting?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #51
EROK
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Normally I would not comment on this but I think the "vets" to whom some get their answers from are a bit over the top and quite harsh on new brewer questions. A few in particular think it's a bother or a burden to answer a beginner's question. Really?? Then don't answer it. As a new brewer a few years ago I came to this great forum to learn from those more experienced than I was at the time. Do me and all these newbs a favor "vets"..... If you can't answer a newbs question with a positive attitude and in an effort to help that new brewer do us a favor and don't post a reply. If your time is that valuable that you get mad about answering a question more than once just don't reply. Let one of the other "vets" who has a better attitude answer it instead.

Chuck Norris is the only person to ever beat Andre the Giant in a drinking contest. And he did it by a two case margin.

Minky Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #52
raysmithtx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Most forums are difficult to search for specific terms, especially if they are as large and busy as this one.

There's a relatively unknown google search technique you can use to search for any term on any specific website you want to search. If you find yourself trying to find info that you know you read on a specific site but can't remember exactly where, use this in the google search box:
site:websitename goes here "search term goes here". Note that there is no space after the site: and you do not need the http:// and you only need the quotes if there is more than one word in the term you are searching for.

As an example to find "bilge pump" on this site I would enter
site:homebrewtalk.com "bilge pump" and google returns all and only listings with that term from only the homebrewtalk.com site. You can change the website name and search on any other website using the same technique.

I use this when I'm looking to buy an item instead of working my way through some vendor websites. Let's face it, not all of them are intuitive or user friendly.

I'm a newbie here and just trying to give a little back for all I have learned here so far.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #53
ThatGeekGuy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger

Ok, I take offense to that one. I'm no idiot.

I'm a moron.
And I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunkard.

Alcoholics have to go to those damn meetings....

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Stormy Monday IIPA
On Tap #2: Mild Thing English Brown
On Deck: Thinking....

Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #54
Yesfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 212

What I've always done (here and at other message boards), is search in a particular sub-forum, instead of doing a general search over the entire forums if I have an idea of what I'm looking for. The boards here have a "search this forum" feature at the for right above the top topic. This is helpful if you know what section to look in. You can even search within a specific thread, if that particular thread is pretty lengthy. This reduces redundant searches in unrelated areas that's unrelated to what you're looking for.

One thing I don't like about searching here, is there's no way to search by "author" or include a member's name within the advance search option. The advance search option is really no different than the Google search bar at the top of the home page (or any page you're currently viewing) Let's say you remember reading about a kick ass beer recipe that someone like (to throw a name out) Yooper made. You can't remember the name, but you know that Yooper was the one who made that particular post. By being able to streamline a search to also include "posts made by", you'll have better success and less pages to sift through to find what you're looking for.

Kegged: St Paddy's Irish Stout, Chocolate Milk Stout. La Petite Orange, Dead Ringer IPA

Quick Reply