Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you remove(filter) the hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
Celticway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

This is a case for to each their own I suppose. I have done it both ways, and have found a general although probably slight improvement with a cleaner taste when I remove them first. Especially on lighter breers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4914 Times on 3563 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticway View Post
You never heard that before? Certainly people leave them in there, but it is generally a good idea to remove break, trub and boil hops before you go into your fermentor. Now does it always effect it negatively, no. But if you think about it, you wouldn't dry hop longer than 7 days (at least try not to) so why would you want your boil hops to sit in there for the length of your fermentation plus the time that you let your beer clear. We're usually talking 10 days or more here?
Nope, I never heard anybody claim that hops debris affect (positively OR negatively) the finished beer.

I have heard Jamil Zainasheff say that leaving hot break in the fermenter can impact the final flavor, but never hops.

My thought was when the hops were spent (in the boil) that they were spent and fell out with the trub.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #13
tonyolympia
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

I've decided to always leave my hops loose and allow them to transfer into the fermenter unless 1) I'm using leaf hops, or 2) I plan to wash the yeast. In both cases I'll use a hops bag.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Nope, I never heard anybody claim that hops debris affect (positively OR negatively) the finished beer.

I have heard Jamil Zainasheff say that leaving hot break in the fermenter can impact the final flavor, but never hops.

My thought was when the hops were spent (in the boil) that they were spent and fell out with the trub.
I see your point, but what about late hops put in there at knockout? This is a good debate on both sides I think. It is interesting.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #15
Thelostcircuit
Recipes 

Celtic, I just siphoned it into the fermenter. I will rack it into a secondary after a week or maybe 10 days.

I like the bag idea. I have seen the mesh bags at the local brew store but didn't know what the uses where for them so I haven't purchased one yet. Ill have to get one before my next batch.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:32 AM   #16
Seven
Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 107

I like to filter the hops with a mesh bag when I make IPAs or other beers that call for a lot of hops. When I'm making low IBU beers I don't bother filtering the hops out. I just throw them into the boiling wort and then later allow them to be transferred into the fermentor with the rest of the trub.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 AM   #17
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelostcircuit
Celtic, I just siphoned it into the fermenter. I will rack it into a secondary after a week or maybe 10 days.

I like the bag idea. I have seen the mesh bags at the local brew store but didn't know what the uses where for them so I haven't purchased one yet. Ill have to get one before my next batch.
Well if you do want to remove them, and as a brewer I encourage you to try both methods to get your own experience with it, then you can stir your wort vigorously for a few minutes then start your siphon on the side of the pot. Most of the hops will be piled in the center.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #18
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I see your point, but what about late hops put in there at knockout? This is a good debate on both sides I think. It is interesting.
I use knock-out (flame out) hops often. Today, I had three ounces of knock out hops, so I whirlpooled about 15 minutes after the flame was out before starting the chiller. I kept the BK (and gentle whirlpool) at 130-180 for those 15 minutes before sending the wort to the fermenters. They stay in there as well, as I have no way to differentiate between bittering hops, flavor hops, or whirlpool hops.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:42 AM   #19
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I use knock-out (flame out) hops often. Today, I had three ounces of knock out hops, so I whirlpooled about 15 minutes after the flame was out before starting the chiller. I kept the BK (and gentle whirlpool) at 130-180 for those 15 minutes before sending the wort to the fermenters. They stay in there as well, as I have no way to differentiate between bittering hops, flavor hops, or whirlpool hops.
Have you ever tried removing your hops?

Old 09-01-2011, 02:57 AM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Have you ever tried removing your hops?
For leaf hops, yes, as they clog my pump so I have to bag them with this system. Up until about 2 years ago, though, I didn't remove them.

Quick Reply