*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you remove(filter) the hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
Thelostcircuit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do you remove(filter) the hops?

I am a home brewing noob. I mad my third batch of beer from a kit that had me add pelitized hops in the boil. That is the first time I have had to do this. My question is should I have filtered out the hops before transferring it to the fermenter? from what i have read it seems to be a fifty fifty think some do and some done. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You want to try to remove as much as possible. This is because you will pull out grassy, nasty flavors if it sits in the fermentor. Dry hopping is a different story all together and is when you add new hops to the fermenter for 7 days after fermentation is complete to add a nice aroma and some flavor.

How do you transfer from your kettle to your fermentor?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Some people do and some don't. I started to a while back just to keep the trub down. Recently built a hop spider as well so I don't burn them fingertips anymore.

beerloaf

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticway View Post
You want to try to remove as much as possible. This is because you will pull out grassy, nasty flavors if it sits in the fermentor. Dry hopping is a different story all together and is when you add new hops to the fermenter for 7 days after fermentation is complete to add a nice aroma and some flavor.

How do you transfer from your kettle to your fermentor?

That's interesting, because I never heard that before. I don't filter out my hops (except for leaf hops that clog my March pump) and my beer has been ok so far without "grassy nasty flavors" from hops debris in the fermenter.

All of my wort tends to go right into the fermenter, unless there is a ton of sludge and hot break that settles in the bottom and it's easy to avoid. Otherwise, it just all goes right into the fermenter and settles out with the trub.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
DoubleAught
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I dump'em in and let'em sit as well. No problems so far...happy brewin'!

In their efforts to regulate beer quality, the ancient Babylonians, who were among history's earliest brewers, decreed that any commercial beermaker who sold unfit beer would be drowned in their own libation.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:17 AM   #6
temptnmonkey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

great beer results either way.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If I were you, I'd buy a nylon mesh bag. It cost $4 at my local brew shop, and it is re-usable. Mine came in a size that fits a 5 gallon container. If you line the container you are racking into with this, you will removed 99% of the debris when you remove it at the end.

I make my life even easier by simply racking with the bag around my racking cane....The nylon is heat tolerant.

This is a nice method because you can just throw your hops loose into your boil and leave them in the primary. Of course this does require racking to a secondary.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #8
Celticway
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

That's interesting, because I never heard that before. I don't filter out my hops (except for leaf hops that clog my March pump) and my beer has been ok so far without "grassy nasty flavors" from hops debris in the fermenter.

All of my wort tends to go right into the fermenter, unless there is a ton of sludge and hot break that settles in the bottom and it's easy to avoid. Otherwise, it just all goes right into the fermenter and settles out with the trub.
You never heard that before? Certainly people leave them in there, but it is generally a good idea to remove break, trub and boil hops before you go into your fermentor. Now does it always effect it negatively, no. But if you think about it, you wouldn't dry hop longer than 7 days (at least try not to) so why would you want your boil hops to sit in there for the length of your fermentation plus the time that you let your beer clear. We're usually talking 10 days or more here?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Delaney
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

I agree with this 100%....I add hops loose into my boil, and let them hang out in my wort/beer until I'm ready to rack/bottle.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #10
enkamania
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've heard folks warn of grassy-ness when dry hopping too long, but I haven't heard that about boiling hops

Wasn't it a millionaire who said, "Imagine no possessions"?

Quick Reply