Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you need a secondary? (the experiment)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Tiredboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Do you need a secondary? (the experiment)

This isn't requesting an answer to the question as its been discussed in a little bit of detail elsewhere! However, Basic Brewing radio in conjunction with BYO are doing an experiment to see the effect of racking to a secondary (good or bad) and I thought those who haven't heard of it may be interested in getting involved as it should give some factual information (rather than gut feeling and personal opinions). Details are in the March 15th 2012 podcast which can be found at http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio or through itunes.

For those of you that don't listen to the podcast, they do a lot of experiments to see the effect of different practices and are worth listening to (in my opinion as a very new brewer).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Hopefully they can do a proper job on the experiment. Many times the experiments are incomplete, or rife with inconsistencies.

Looking forward to seeing this.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I still stand by the do both decide which one you like more. Most of the time the secondary is just used as a bright tank anyways.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 03-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Tiredboy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

"bright tank"?

Old 03-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
brewingbryan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I'll also give a plug to the podcast. I listened to some archived episodes last week and really found it helpful for future brews and to quicken my learning curve a bit as a beginner brewer.

As for tue secondary, I've used it for all my batches so far, but I've also been using it as a means to infuse flavors - chocolate nibs for stouts, peppers for jalapeño ale. I also like the clarifying part of it.

Quick Reply