Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do you let IPA's breathe before drinking??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Do you let IPA's breathe before drinking??

I had never tasted an IPA until yesterday. Where I live they don't sell single bottles and I usually don't go to bars, so I didn't want to risk investing in a six-pack at the prices the locals charge due to our punitive pricing laws. Anyway since a Biggs opened up they got a permit to sell single bottles and have a limited selection of singles. Since I do like some bitter beers, such as Canadian lagers, I thought I would try an IPA. I chose a Christian Morelein Northern Liberty along with a six-pack of Salvator I got to start a Lenten tradition of my own with. Anyway, when I got home I opened the IPA and took a swallow from the bottle and YUCK! It was like drinking perfume. I then poured it into a glass and let it sit for a while and the perfume smell taste melted a bit. I still wouldn't buy or make this but are IPA's made to air out a bit before drinking? Is it supposed to taste like flowery perfume or was this just something odd with this brand?

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Many IPAs will evolve quite a bit as they warm up. I usually drink pretty slowly (I can nurse a pint for an hour), and I really enjoy how it changes during that time.

The actual aroma/flavor profile depends mostly on the hops that were used. Most American IPAs, especially west coast examples, are citrusy, piney, resiny or dank. There is a lot of flavor diversity.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 03-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #3
Hockeyhunter99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IPAs (American, English, Imperial, Facemelters, Etc.) should be poured into a beer glass (as all beers should) to allow the head to form and release the aroma and carbonation that is trapped durning conditioning. Good IPAs have a melding effect on the palate and nose. bad IPAs bitter the mouth and flare the nostrils. though many peopel have developed a taste for IPA, i don't know many that have LOVED them the first time. they have to kind of grow on you. i would suggest a little lighter IPA, Sam Adams 48 Latitude or Noble Pilz. Bells Two-Hearted Ale, your local retail store should be able to advise you on a lighter IPA.

My first experience with IPA was from Big Sky Brewers, (can't remember the name but it has an antelope on the bottle) HORRIBLE!!!! swore off IPAs for life. then tried SA and Sierra Nevada's Tornado. Haven't looked back and i sometimes can even taste the hops when i am really craving a beer.

best of luck and don't give up completely on IPA

Beer Renaissance definition - transformation from a heavy beer drinker to drinking heavy beer

Keg - American Pale Ale

Primary - Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary - ButterBeer

Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
Many IPAs will evolve quite a bit as they warm up. I usually drink pretty slowly (I can nurse a pint for an hour), and I really enjoy how it changes during that time.

The actual aroma/flavor profile depends mostly on the hops that were used. Most American IPAs, especially west coast examples, are citrusy, piney, resiny or dank. There is a lot of flavor diversity.
Now I could do with piney. It is all I can do not to drink the Pinesol when the floor is being mopped. And yes I mean that. Any suggestions on what to try?

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
tomasej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you like piney then try a stone IPA. It's one of my favorites however, as stated earlier you may want to start out lighter. Maybe a Longhammer IPA.

- Joey

Old 03-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
iswenson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"risk investing in a six-pack"

It does sound like a risky investment. What was your personal rate of return on that investment?

Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
RMitch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I always drink IPAs from a glass, and always let them breathe. Let it sit in the glass for 2-3 minutes and you're good to go.

IPAs taste gross right from the bottle, IMO. The flavors don't flow properly.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

always drink GOOD BEER from a glass. allows nose to get in the glass and smell the malt and hops. taste is a large % smell.

Bells Two-Hearted Ale is a BIG beer but highly addictive, price point is not low, but it's one I truly enjoy. Dogfish head 60 min is a good starter too, 90 min is a Double IPA and a big beer. takes some getting used to but once you stun your tastebuds wow is it nice. definitely one that needs a breathing time. not sure if you can get any of the sweetwater brews from GA but 420 extra pale ale and their IPA are both nice. (I thought 420 was an IPA before going to website fair amount of hops

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 03-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Love2BrewCrew
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by iswenson View Post
"risk investing in a six-pack"

It does sound like a risky investment. What was your personal rate of return on that investment?
I usually always have the desired ROI of drinking a six pack. Good taste and a nice buzz are the two main factors that I have diversified into with my portfolio.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfish View Post
always drink GOOD BEER from a glass.
Bingo. The only beer I'll drink from a bottle is the fizzy yellow stuff. Anything else gets served in appropriate glassware. The way I see it is if I'm gonna spend 10+ bucks on a nice bottle of beer, I can spend a few more bucks and get the appropriate glassware to serve it in.

Quick Reply