New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do not be afraid young grasshopper..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #21
brewkrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Rough life isn't it lol. Once my girl friend found out I bought a bunch of brewing equipment she was like what?? You will spend money on this, but complain about taking me out for dinner some nights. Then she said if I want a beer I'll buy one... So I guess she can have her bud light and I will have my delicious home brewed American Amber Ale... That is if it turns out as it should. As for the actual topic at hand, I too am weary of going AG simply because I do not know anyone who does this either. I believe people when they say it is simple, and if had the equipment and someone to coach my I'd be fine. I just don't want to screw something up and then a month later taste ****ty beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
BlueSunshine
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I too am an extract brewer weary of going all grain. It seems that I simply don't have the room to do so without doing the "brew in a bag" method. I'm going to go all grain eventually, but as of right now I'm really happy with my extract batches.

Bottled: Three Pistols, Spaced Out Saison, Amarillo Armadillo
Conditioning:
Fermenting: GTFO Stout
Gone: Sheffield Pale Ale, Donut Shop Coffee Stout,Hop Rape Imperial IPA, Hooston's Irish Red Beer'd

Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #23
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

If cost is a problem for the significant other, consider that extract brewing can cost twice as much as AG. (Extract kit vs. Bulk purchase AG)

There is always concern about making crap beer, but if you understand when you need perfect sanitation, and follow that, then you are not likely to make crap beer. If you also understand how important it is to keep your fermentation temps where they should be then you are very likely to make very good beer. If you also get the proper mix of ingredients and cook them just right, you are almost certainly going to make great beer.

Two of the three are identically essential for either extract or AG. The other is only slightly harder for one method.

Let's say you want to make an AG batch. Get Beersmith, or a recipe from some source, and buy the grains listed for that recipe. You can get them pre-crushed, or if you have a crusher, uncrushed and crush them at home.

Place the grains and the proper amount of water, at the proper temp (usually 150-156), into your Mash Tun (MLT), stir it up, and then let it sit for an hour.

Pour a quart or two out through the spigot into a vessel, until it starts to run clear, then move the hose into the boil kettle. Carefully pour the wort collected in the small vessel back into the top of the MLT so as to not disturb the grain bed.

When the MLT is drained, add some more water at about 170F and stir it up again. Repeat the drain procedure after about 10 minutes. This rinses the sugars from the grain.

Some people rinse twice.

That's it. Now you have wort in the boil kettle, ready to boil and add hops. The trick is knowing how much grain and water and of course what temp the water has to be to get the mash temp, because it will lose a few degrees when you put it in the MLT and mix with grain. Beersmith will calculate this for you, or you can do it on paper.

This method is called Batch Sparging, and is somewhat easier to start with. Fly sparging is similar, but requires you to add water carefully into the MLT while draining, so that the level of water above the grains stays constant. With the right equipment and experience, many people think it's easier than batch sparging.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
Bach7210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprecated View Post
... I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?
This gave me a laugh. Just watched that show again a couple days ago.
On Tap #1 - EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
On Tap #2 - Kölsch
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Strawberry Blond
Primary: Cream Ale, Pumpkin Ale
Up next: Guinness Clone, Irish Red

Old 05-15-2010, 05:46 AM   #25
neomantra
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Honestly I'm really glad I started in extract brewing with kits and I don't think the new folks here should feel pressured to skip this part of the learning process by threads like this one. Posting this in the "beginners forum" is like telling people that riding a bike isn't really that hard so they should skip learning to crawl and walk.

There are a ton of great reasons why people should start simple. Lower startup cost, lower initial learning curve, less work on brew day, etc. Not to mention less risk of mistakes in early batches leads to higher chance of tasty beer and thus higher chance of continuing this fantastic hobby. So I totally understand why almost any LBHS or experienced brewer recommends that people start with extract. People can always move on to more complicated things when they're ready, but if you overwhelm them to start out they're not nearly as likely to stick with it imho

Quick Reply