Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do not be afraid young grasshopper..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Ouroboros
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My fourth brew was AG using a picnic cooler mash/lauter tun, and I don't think I'll go back to purely extract brewing. It's a lot of fun and I think the smell of mashing grain is amazing.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #12
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach7210 View Post
For me (and I hope I don't get stoned here)...
Put down the bong, hippie!

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 05-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
Bach7210
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Put down the bong, hippie!

Hahahaha, I meant by flying rocks!
On Tap #1 - EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
On Tap #2 - Kölsch
Bottled: Raspberry Wheat
Kegged: Oatmeal Stout, Strawberry Blond
Primary: Cream Ale, Pumpkin Ale
Up next: Guinness Clone, Irish Red

Old 05-13-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
brewkrew
Recipes 

I recently just finished my first boil and am now on the fermenting stage, and for me I am doing extract brewing first for a couple of reasons.
1) I really didn't know what I was getting into... I read a lot and researched a lot, but I do not know a single person who brews their own beer.
2) I want to get the process down with, from my research, is the easier method. I don't want to be fumbling around with stuff and looking at recipes and how long do I boil and such.
3) Well, I believe in working up. You don't put on full pads your first day of football practice.

This being said, I look forward to the day my hobby grows to the top level of AG brewing. Until then, I'll pray for beer that tastes better than Keystone. (not that I'm talking bad about Keystone, but I mean it's cheap beer... or expensive water)

Old 05-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #15
deprecated
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ok, I'm a "newbie" but....

I think I did 5 extract batches before I did my first AG just a couple of weeks ago.

I felt as if I were taking shortcuts with the extract that could potentially contribute to an inferior final product. Being new to homebrewing I have no real justification for that mindset, and by no means am I implying one is better than the other. It's just how *I* felt about it with what little I know.

Kind of like lasagna Hamburger Helper vs. homemade lasagna... I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh?

Anyway, I'm glad I made the switch (yes, after just one AG batch) and if any other extract brewers are apprehensive about going to AG I'd recommend you hang out with an AG brewer on a brew day if you can.

The Beer Gods and LHBS willing, I'm going to do my 2nd and 3rd AG this weekend!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I wouldn't even call it a "jump" to all-grain. It's more like a "step". Actually its a couple steps added on to the front end of your brew. Simple but terrifying if all you've done is read through the steps.

I remember reading about all-grain and being confused to no end (as an extract brewer). I watched a video somewhere on here and thought "wow, that is all there is to it?" ....... that is "all-grain"

So anyone who is terrified of "making the leap" to all-grain. Find a video on here or youtube, find a cooler, and go for it.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:11 AM   #17
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2450 Times on 1726 Posts
Likes Given: 1405

I believe that there is no one way for everyone. Some people will just "get it" and start with AG no problem. Others, will find Extract brewing to be a rewarding experience in itself and a nice learning step to boot.

Frankly, unless I felt confident that the person understood all about AG and mashing, I'd recommend at least doing 1-2 extract batches. There is a lot to handle just in moving liquids along, and growing happy yeast. Adding the additional stress of having to understand the mash process is going to be too much for some beginners.

But after a batch or two, or a few, most people should be able to grasp the basic concepts of mashing and if they are so interested, should just go for it. I think that most will find it's not as difficult as they imagined. It mostly has to do with the right amount of grain and the right amount of water, at the right temperature. Most of the time this information is in the recipe anyway. The biggest thing is building or buying the Mash Tun and a kettle big enough.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 05-14-2010, 12:41 AM   #18
impur
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just did my first batch and it was a partial mash. Guess i'm half way there? I'm really into DIY stuff so i will probably dive right into making the other equipment i'll need and get it going right when my 1st batch is ready to bottle.

Old 05-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #19
munche
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've brewed 3 batches so far, I have 2 extract kits waiting to brew but on impulse last weekend I went to the hardware store, got a bunch of fittings and hose braid and a cooler and made my cooler MLT. So now of course I'm itching to brew with it. Plus I've got a bunch of hops waiting to be used.

I'm still a bit nervous about AG, but I'm gonna make the transition, damn it! If for no other reason than to lower my cost per batch.

On Draft: Empire Strikes Brau, Dead By Dawn, Fail Ale, Yellow Fever Blonde

Old 05-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #20
Paulgs3
Yeast Buddy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm actually over zealous about going from extract to AG. I was ready in heart and mind before I even kegged my first batch.

Problem was, I just started and I went all out. I bought a kegging system (4 kegs) chest freezer, BK, wort chiller, burner, filter kit, all the fun tools and tubings.... all before I even brewed once, and the wife is a bit miffed. I was smart enough to get stuff sent to work instead of home, but she noticed when my brewery was assembled in the basement. Kinda hard to explain all that once it all down there....

Another problem is, I don't know anyone else that does this. Extract brewing is very easy and fun. I would love the freedom to truly craft my own beer the AG way, but I don't have anyone to look over my shoulder and tell me what I'm doing right and/or wrong.

Right now, the biggest stumbling block is if I want some...well you know.... I gotta tone down the spending on beer brewing parts. Which means extract and partials until I get her loving the beer enough to OK my spending

Quick Reply