Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do I really need a bottling bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Philby
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Do I really need a bottling bucket?

Hi guys,

I realize the impulse answer will be "yes, of course you do", but hear me out...

My fermenter has a spigot installed. If I transfer my beer to a bucket before bottling, surely the same amount of sediment would end up in the bucket and then in the bottles as it would if I just bottled directly from the fermenter spigot?

I know adding priming sugar stirs up sediment, but I will be priming in the bottles with handy carbonation drops.

So why should I use a bottling bucket? It seems like this is a step I can skip. This is my first brew btw, and it's looking good.

Thanks all

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #2
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

My only issue would be adding priming sugar, but if you're not using sugar I think you'll be fine.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #3
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Bottling priming a whole 5G batch is a PITA in my opinion and deprives you the ability to adjust the carbonation to the style and your taste.

Using a bottling bucket also makes it much easier to use a wand.

They're cheap. Why not just get one and do it right?

Old 03-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Vinny91
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Bottling bucket makes it a heck of a lot easier they are only like 10-15 bucks. Also the priming sugar would have to be gently stirred in which would kick up the settled sediment.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
hotspurdotus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
Hi guys,
My fermenter has a spigot installed. If I transfer my beer to a bucket before bottling, surely the same amount of sediment would end up in the bucket and then in the bottles as it would if I just bottled directly from the fermenter spigot?
Thanks all
I'm not sure I buy this. I've never bottled from my fermenter, but there can be a LOT of sediment in a fermenter, and my bottle bucket is basically sediment free after I rack to it.

Bottom line; no, you don't really need a bottling bucket, but if you keep brewing you'll want one. It's not a step worth skipping.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotspurdotus View Post
I'm not sure I buy this. I've never bottled from my fermenter, but there can be a LOT of sediment in a fermenter, and my bottle bucket is basically sediment free after I rack to it.

Bottom line; no, you don't really need a bottling bucket, but if you keep brewing you'll want one. It's not a step worth skipping.
Roger to that answer. I have almost NO trub in my bottling bucket when the beer is transfered carefully with my auto syphon.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: OldGlory (Am Stout)
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer: German IPA
Bottled in the refer: Düsseldorf Altbier

Old 03-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Brewcrew02
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Concise/direct answer>> You are using carb drops so no need for bottling bucket.

Less concise>> Carb drops suck. They over-carb in my opinion/preference. I have a spigot on my fermenters, too. If placed correctly (not pre-drilled but added by you) you will get little to no trub, and what trub does get into your bottling bucket will be left behind. Evenespecially when using a dip tube.

"Gave my 500ml Pacman starter that I made last night a hug and wished it a good day before I headed off to work. He's growing up so fast!! Will be a 2liter starter by Saturday and will probably start ignoring me, think he knows it all and end up knocking up some skanky belgain strain before I know it." ~BigTerp

Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2101 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

Nobody asked if you're using a Cooper's fermenter? They have what's called a "little bottler" bottling wand that ataches to the spigot to fill the bottles after adding the right number of carb drops. It sounds to me like maybe you have Cooper's DIY fermenter. True/false??

Old 03-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philby View Post
No, only if you installed the spigot as close to the bottom of the bucket as possible. Picture sludge halfway up the opening of the spigot.
I initially resisted the BB idea, but am now a convert.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2101 Times on 1840 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

I've never had trub up past the level of the spigot. Even before I started straining into primary. The trub/yeast layer will compact down pretty good given time. Like 2-3 weeks on average. And that's the ones on my primary vessels. The spigot on my bottling bucket I installed a bit lower than those. I can tip the bottling bucket less,& get all but a couple TBSP out of it. Clear too.
But by th op's description,I thought maybe he has a Cooper's fermenter where you use the bottling wand that ataches to the spigot & carb drops.

Quick Reply