New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > do I need a secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewnoob View Post
Wow thanks for all the quick responses. Forgive me if I'm still unclear (sorta like my beer right now). My Primary has a spigot and I bottled directly from that on the first batch from Coopers (didnt have to boil or add hops). If the point of the primary is just to add priming sugar mixture and then bottle immediately, could't I just leave it there for another week to clarify then add the sugar and bottle from there? I guess the only thing might be that there will be more sediment in the Primary and that would get all stirred up after adding the priming sugar.
If I do transfer to a bottling bucket it would be easy to just open the spigot and put the secondary under it. Thanks again for the education!
When you rack the beer from one vessel to another,you need to atach a peice of tubing to the spigot that runs down half way around the bottom of the bottling bucket. Letting it just run straight into it will oxygenate the beer,making it taste like wet cardboard,so don't do that. To atch the tubing to the Cooper's fermenter,remove the pin valve from the end of the little bottler,& attach the 3/8" tubing to that. But you'd also need an aftermarket bottling wand,& another length of 3/8" tubing to attach it to the spigot on the bottling bucket. Leaving the beer in primary till it hits FG & settles out clear or slightly misty will give little sediment in the bottling bucket & thus,the bottles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewnoob
Wow thanks for all the quick responses. Forgive me if I'm still unclear (sorta like my beer right now). My Primary has a spigot and I bottled directly from that on the first batch from Coopers (didnt have to boil or add hops). If the point of the primary is just to add priming sugar mixture and then bottle immediately, could't I just leave it there for another week to clarify then add the sugar and bottle from there? I guess the only thing might be that there will be more sediment in the Primary and that would get all stirred up after adding the priming sugar.
If I do transfer to a bottling bucket it would be easy to just open the spigot and put the secondary under it. Thanks again for the education!
Many say that a secondary is not necessary, but I'm much happier with my clarity, and flavor when I use the secondary fermenter prior to bottling, then when you go to rack the beer to your bottling bucket you have a already reduced the chance of particles, and sediment from getting into your bottles. I always secondary my batches. And yes, be very careful not to oxygenate your beer when racking it, you somehow need to reduce splashing to almost nothing to be safe. I use the auto siphon to do this. Go to NorthernBrewer.com, explore the site, look for the learn, or resources tab, and locate the instructional videos, you will find a wealth of info there on most subjects, and you can also search UTube with your questions, ther is a guy on there called Craig tube, he loves coopers kits, and he's quite informative.

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Old 01-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 181

I went through the same thing and if you bottle straight from your primary you risk having the sludge from the bottom end up in your beer and causing off flavor. (I devoted an entire section of my blog to this fiasco). You also don't want to stir the beer up too much or you'll introduce oxygen.

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomeBrews.com

On Tap: Any Day Session IPA

Primary 1: Hopamania (aka Hop Hogan) IIPA
Primary 2: Dolph 2014 Imperial Stout
Primary 3: "Strong, Dark & Stoopid 2014" Belgian Dark Strong
Primary 4: "Cirrhosis" 20% Barleywine
Primary 5: Apricot Cascade Blonde Ale
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: Empty

Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
mcangeli
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Did your equipment come with two "buckets" or the bucket and a carboy?

If it did, I'd primary in the one with out a spigot and rack to the one with the spigot for bottling. If not, you can get a 6 gallon better bottle carboy (plastic) from Midwest for $25.99 add the bung and airlock and you've got a good primary fermenter. http://ziz.bz/aluV

After two to three weeks in there, rack to your bucket with the spigot for bottling and you're all set.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #15
cramar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Coopers DIY is sold as a single stage fermentor with a spigot, by design it's promoting a single stage fermenting, although it's certainly not limited to it.

Yesterday I just bottled my first batch from the same kit, my own approach to all this was simplicity and avoiding temptation to buy all sorts of stuff right off the bat.
Personally I'd say get some batches under your belt and if you think you need more items then get them because you know why you need them and what they will/won't accomplish, avoid complicating (perhaps not the best term) things until you know why you need more tools.
My pre-purchase research here showed me that lots of brewers here are advocates of single stage fermenting.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #16
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1666 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1144

Also known as a single tier system. I do it all in primary,save for oaking or the like that I do in secondary. I even dry hop in primary.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #17
cramar
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you look at the 3rd and 4th pics of this thread there is a great and simple solution for single stage fermenting with a spigot, I'm going to try this on my next batch, perhaps using a peice of clear tubing or something.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bottling-tips-homebrewer-94812/

Last edited by cramar; 01-18-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: correction

Quick Reply