Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do I have to use a Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #51
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Are you going to bottle or keg? If kegging, I'd go ahead and let it ferment for 3 weeks in primary and then keg it up. This is what I like to do. If you have a typical fermentation, it should be done by then. If it turns out that it is not quite done by then, with kegging you don't run the risk of of bottle bombs.

If bottling, I might transfer it to a secondary once it has reached it's FG. Let it go 2 more weeks and then bottle. I personally don't like the subtle yeasty flavors, particularly in typical lagers, that one can get from leaving the beer on the bulk of the yeast for longer time periods. That is YOUR call to decide what flavors you want. Some folks will secondary (at lagering temps) and then bottle. I liked to bottle and carbonate, and then lager to make sure I've got enough yeast in suspension to properly carbonate the beer.

Then there is the diacetyl rest issue. If you start your fermentation warmer, and then cool to fermentation temps, then you'll want to do a diacetyl rest about 4/5ths of the way through active fermentation. If you can cool it to fermentation temp right away, then you can skip the diacetyl rest. This works for me.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #52
gfinockio
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here's a question for an old thread - I'm going to be doing my second brew in a couple of weeks. I'd like to try "secondary" fermentation, but I'm thinking of doing the following:

1. Prepare the wort, and do primary fermentation in a large glass carboy for a week.
2. Transfer the brew into a bucket (carefully) and clean the glass carboy.
3. Transfer the brew back into the glass carboy and leave it for 2 weeks.

Good idea?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #53
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfinockio View Post
Here's a question for an old thread - I'm going to be doing my second brew in a couple of weeks. I'd like to try "secondary" fermentation, but I'm thinking of doing the following:

1. Prepare the wort, and do primary fermentation in a large glass carboy for a week.
2. Transfer the brew into a bucket (carefully) and clean the glass carboy.
3. Transfer the brew back into the glass carboy and leave it for 2 weeks.

Good idea?
That is fine but the more times you transfer you risk oxydation and infection. I would just buy a plastic bucket or another carboy and secondary in there. Make sure the bucket has an airlock.

Fermenter #1:
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled: Alesmith IPA
Up Next: Buffalo Sweat Clone (FinsFan)

Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #54
gfinockio
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestBrewer View Post
That is fine but the more times you transfer you risk oxydation and infection. I would just buy a plastic bucket or another carboy and secondary in there. Make sure the bucket has an airlock.
That's my issue now - I have a very nice glass carboy... and a large bucket with a flimsy lid. The bucket isn't suitable for anything but bottling I don't think, so that's why I thought reusing the carboy was the best bet. After I get a few more batches under my belt, I'll invest in a second carboy (and hide it from the missus)...

Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 PM   #55
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

That's my issue now - I have a very nice glass carboy... and a large bucket with a flimsy lid. The bucket isn't suitable for anything but bottling I don't think, so that's why I thought reusing the carboy was the best bet. After I get a few more batches under my belt, I'll invest in a second carboy (and hide it from the missus)...
What kind of beer are you making? "Secondary" is a misnomer, in the big business they call it a "bright tank" and is used solely for letting more sediment to settle out making a clearer beer. For example it is useless to "secondary" a Belgian wit because it will never clear, on the other hand a light lager should be transferred off the yeast and trub before lagering. I rarely secondary anymore and if I want clearer beer I use gelatin in the keg. Food for thought.

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #56
gfinockio
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mcarthur View Post
What kind of beer are you making? "Secondary" is a misnomer, in the big business they call it a "bright tank" and is used solely for letting more sediment to settle out making a clearer beer. For example it is useless to "secondary" a Belgian wit because it will never clear, on the other hand a light lager should be transferred off the yeast and trub before lagering. I rarely secondary anymore and if I want clearer beer I use gelatin in the keg. Food for thought.
Well my first batch is an IPA, and it's pretty cloudy when I transferred to bottles. I just figured removing the gunk/cake off the bottom of the carboy and returning the brew back would help, but I guess if I just waited an extra week it might have clarified a bit more.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #57
k_mcarthur
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:

Well my first batch is an IPA, and it's pretty cloudy when I transferred to bottles. I just figured removing the gunk/cake off the bottom of the carboy and returning the brew back would help, but I guess if I just waited an extra week it might have clarified a bit more.
If you can crash cool your carboy get it as close to freezing but not frozen, make up gelatine and pour in, wait few days to clear, then transfer clear beer to bottling bucket. No secondary needed. Just my two cents.

BTW. Welcome to the addictive world of homebrewing.

Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour, teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:45 AM   #58
KepowOb
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You don't even need to use gelatin from what I understand, though it does a great job.

You have no reason to secondary, it won't help clear your beer. It's sitting on the trub, that stuff doesn't just start floating back up into the beer (unless you move your carboy around). Once fermentation is done, give it some time to settle out... And if you can cold crash, it would help speed things up. If you do move the carboy before bottling, try moving it at least 24h in advance to let things settle back down.

Drinking: Orange Saison
Bottle conditioning: APA
Fermenting: RIS

Old 08-30-2013, 01:01 AM   #59
gfinockio
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mcarthur View Post
BTW. Welcome to the addictive world of homebrewing.
Tell me about it! I already have 3 more recipes lined up (including sake!) and I want to do them all now!

Old 08-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #60
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KepowOb View Post
You have no reason to secondary, it won't help clear your beer. It's sitting on the trub, that stuff doesn't just start floating back up into the beer (unless you move your carboy around). Once fermentation is done, give it some time to settle out... And if you can cold crash, it would help speed things up. If you do move the carboy before bottling, try moving it at least 24h in advance to let things settle back down.
Secondaries, don't really make a big difference in terms of clearing. That being said, doing only a long primary does change the flavor of the final beer compared to using a secondary. Peoples tastes vary as to which they prefer. It is a personal preference - and can depend on the beer style.

NewWestBrewer is correct, it is fine to do as you propose, but there is increased risk POTENTIAL - just work slow to keep and splashing to a minimum - you want nice smooth flow.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply