New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do I have to use a Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 04:36 AM   #21
newbeerpig
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Nickhead,

As for secondary, realistically there isn't a time limit (You can go several months), but if you plan on carbonating you will reach a point where you might need to add more yeast.
How do you know when you need to add more yeast for carbonating in the bottle?

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #22
vespabrew
Recipes 

i am sure it has been asked, but i couldn't locate the answer; can i use my bottling bucket as a secondary? i know the lid w/ the airlock will fit. i am just worried about possible oxidation with the extra space. would a carboy be better, or will i just be spending extra $?

Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #23
rx_mike
Recipes 

When you talk about leaving it in the primary for the duration is that a bucket with a lid and airlock? My primary doesn't have an airlock, just the lid that sits on top. Is this satisfactory or am I at risk of spoilage since there's no seal?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #24
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3464

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx_mike View Post
When you talk about leaving it in the primary for the duration is that a bucket with a lid and airlock? My primary doesn't have an airlock, just the lid that sits on top. Is this satisfactory or am I at risk of spoilage since there's no seal?
You're fine...there's co2 protecting your beer...if it's pushing out nothing can get in...and if you have noticed some of my writings...not every fermenter WITH an airlock is perfectly sealed, hence the fact that airlocks are fallable as a "fermentation gauge."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #25
scorchingice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero View Post
Q: I'm not really too concerned about the the clarity of my brews. Do I really have to use a secondary fermenter?

A: No, it's not absolutely essential to use a secondary...many home brewers make perfectly good beer without one. However, will your beer be better if you do use a secondary? ABSOLUTELY! Secondary fermentation is about clarity, but also about removing off flavors from your beer. To quote one of the masters:

During secondary fermentation, the yeast reduces or removes certain undesirable flavor components (diacetyl, acetylaldehyde, and some sulphur compounds), thereby maturing the beer into a more drinkable condition. During this latter phase of fermentation, the majority of the yeast in the beer also settles to the bottom of the fermenter, leaving the beer clear and bright. Thus, at the end of secondary fermentation, beer is generally ready to be carbonated and consumed.

The above comes from a Ray Daniels article on secondary fermentation.
I have 2 questions.

From the above post "the yeast reduces or removes certain undesirable flavor components (diacetyl, acetylaldehyde, and some sulphur compounds), thereby maturing the beer into a more drinkable condition."

#1. Do you add more yeast when you add the beer to the secondary fermentation container or just move the beer with the already contained yeast?

#2. When I move the beer to the secondary Fermentation container, I have always waited for the beer to be done fermenting "Holding the specific gravity at the same reading for 2 - 3 days". Should I be using an airlock on the carboy, or since the fermentation is complete should I use a solid rubber stopper? I usually try to leave the beer in the carboy for 2+ weeks before bottling.

So basically which stopper to use and do I add additional yeast when transferring ?

Old 01-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #26
DanWadeOKC
Recipes 

If using a secondary, would it be considered triple fermented after the bottle conditioning is finished?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #27
Kong
Recipes 

I've got the two plastic buckets brew kit: one with spigot one without. Instead of following the directions, I poured the chilled wort into the spigot bucket and decided to just let it sit in there for three weeks before bottling straight from the spigot.

Bad idea? Foresee any problems? Need more information?

Thanks,

Kong

Old 01-02-2010, 02:37 AM   #28
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3464

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWadeOKC View Post
If using a secondary, would it be considered triple fermented after the bottle conditioning is finished?
No, because no fermentation happens in secondary...that is a misnomer.

Read this for a clearer explanation between secondary fermentation and a secondary vessel. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/second-ferm-racking-128440/#post1438252

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #29
Frosty86
Recipes 

I am using the True Brew Amber Kit for my first Homebrew it has stopped bubbling after about 4 days so I'm right on track per the directions. So it says wait 3-4 days then rack it to a bottling bucket then bottle. Would I benifit from a Secondary fermentation?....Please let me know if I am Correct ........Secondary fermentation just means you rack the brew into a fresh fermentation bucket? This is also my first post.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3869 Times on 2826 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty86 View Post
I am using the True Brew Amber Kit for my first Homebrew it has stopped bubbling after about 4 days so I'm right on track per the directions. So it says wait 3-4 days then rack it to a bottling bucket then bottle. Would I benifit from a Secondary fermentation?....Please let me know if I am Correct ........Secondary fermentation just means you rack the brew into a fresh fermentation bucket? This is also my first post.
I wouldn't rack into a new bucket. You would still have alot of headspace, just as in the bucket you have. Wait 2-3 weeks, then bottle. You can just leave the beer right where it is.

Quick Reply