Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do I have to use a Secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #1
El Pistolero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Do I have to use a Secondary?

Q: I'm not really too concerned about the the clarity of my brews. Do I really have to use a secondary fermenter?

A: No, it's not absolutely essential to use a secondary...many home brewers make perfectly good beer without one. However, will your beer be better if you do use a secondary? ABSOLUTELY! Secondary fermentation is about clarity, but also about removing off flavors from your beer. To quote one of the masters:

Quote:
During secondary fermentation, the yeast reduces or removes certain undesirable flavor components (diacetyl, acetylaldehyde, and some sulphur compounds), thereby maturing the beer into a more drinkable condition. During this latter phase of fermentation, the majority of the yeast in the beer also settles to the bottom of the fermenter, leaving the beer clear and bright. Thus, at the end of secondary fermentation, beer is generally ready to be carbonated and consumed.
The above comes from a Ray Daniels article on secondary fermentation.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I first read your post I thougth it said "I'm not really too concerned about the quality of my brews!"

Clarity is definitely different than quality, eh?

Old 04-05-2006, 05:43 PM   #3
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter
Clarity is definitely different than quality, eh?
Actually, my guess would be that the vast majority of non home brewers would say that clarity and quality are the same thing.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 04-06-2006, 06:01 AM   #4
MrBulldogg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero
Actually, my guess would be that the vast majority of non home brewers would say that clarity and quality are the same thing.
I dunno... I've enjoyed Hefeweizen and other "cloudy" brews for many years before seeing the light about home brewing, and it didn't take long to learn that clarity and taste were not the same thing, especially when it came to the smaller, local breweries. Granted, I'm hardly an authority on the matter but clarity and quality are certainly not one and the same. Great White is a local brew (Eureka, CA) that is almost friggin' all-white but it kicks butt nonetheless.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I use the slight chill haze in my beers to discourage others from drinking them: "Yeah, I know, they are just a little cloudy, huh? Maybe it is a bit of anquired taste - here's a nice MGD for ya, I will settle for this."

Old 04-06-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i secondary everything even dark beers...just becasue.

clarity isn't an issue for stouts but i think i get a cleaner result.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
cool brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pistolero

Haha, yeah. Pretty sad i would say. That bud light is so much better than a home brewed IPA, eh!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
I use the slight chill haze in my beers to discourage others from drinking them: "Yeah, I know, they are just a little cloudy, huh? Maybe it is a bit of anquired taste - here's a nice MGD for ya, I will settle for this."
That's a good one and it sounds just eactly like something I would say to a homebrew nay-sayer!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 10-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
goplayoutside
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I quit using a secondary. When about a week of fermentation has happened and the active part is done I move the fermenter to a spot about 55 F and leave it two or three more weeks before bottling. This gets the yeast to flocculate out leaving extremely clear beer. I don't know if the "flavor improvement" of the secondary is occurring during that time or not, but I have not noticed any difference in beer taste. So while for most of our ales I don't see a compelling reason we should use a secondary, but there are a couple of good ones not to, like increased risk of infection and extra work and cleaning. Papizian's book says it doesn't matter unless you are lagering.

"Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit, and promotes good health" -Thomas Jefferson
PRIMARY: NONE / SECONDARY: NONE / CONDITIONING: NONE / ON TAP: ANGLO-AMERICAN WHEAT PALE ALE

Old 10-05-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

WOW - blast from the past.

Quick Reply