Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do I have to steep special malts or can they just go into the mash with the base malt

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1913 Times on 1891 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysium
I have a 13-gallon pot for BIAB and dont brew more than 7 gallons anyway. Can you tell me a bit more about this part you said: when your mash tun isn't big enough for the entire grain bill. If it is not big enough how do you steep at all? I thought steeping or mashing takes place in the same pot, with the difference that steeping is at a lower temperature. Am I wrong?
do a search for mash tun. In an all grain brew, there is a specific vessel for mashing. Once the mash is complete, the liquid (wort) is drained i to a boil kettle. If you are doing BIAB you will have a different approach. But as an example, my mash tun will hold 10gal of water. Adding 13 lbs of grain to it greatly reduces the amount of water it holds. The statement above basically means, if you cant get enough strike water into your mash tun, steep the specialty grains seperately to accomodat for more strike water. Steeping and mashing are a little different. Mashing temps are different than steeping temps. I suggest searching the BIAB threads for more info. I also recommend reading John Palmer's "How to Brew" and Charlie Pappazian's "The Joy of Homebrew". Good luck.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1954 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1447

I put'em all in the mash together.If I'm making something lighter than stout or porter,I'm using less of the dark roasts anyway. Plus I'm doing partial boil/partial mash biab as well.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #13
Queequeg
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I do partial mash BIAB. My kettle is 19L. On average you need 1.3L of water per 500g of grain.

So therefore my Kettle can only take about 6kg of grain and water. So If I have a grain bill that is bigger and I can't trim it, I will steep the speciality grains in the wort after the convertible grains have been mashed.

In principle the same problem can occur in any all grain kettle or mash turn if the specific gravity of the beer is very high and the grain bill very large.

In your case you have a very large kettle, so providing your sticking to 5 gallon batches this wouldn't be a problem in virtually all instances except for the most high gravity/largest grain bills.

Quick Reply