Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do I have the right fermenting signs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
zeeba
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Do I have the right fermenting signs?

Brewing Mr. Beer recipe Columbus' Cascading Amber Ale, it took about 15 hours before I saw any signs of life and from what I have read here that is doing just fine.

Around 15 hours I saw all that gunk on the top of the beer and this morning (about 30- 35 hours) when I checked it all the gunk was gone but I can see very tiny bubbles coming up; kind of looks like when you poor a 7-up and wait 10 min there are still bubbles coming up but not a ton of them there is also a hop sack in the brew and that does have a lot of little bubbles coming up around it. I am keeping the temp pretty steady around 68-70F.

My question here is; is it ok that all the stuff is not on top and all I see are tiny little bubbles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

Yes,it's fine. After initial fermentation,the krausen falls & it slowly,uneventfully creeps down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
ThickHead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Yes,it's fine. After initial fermentation,the krausen falls & it slowly,uneventfully creeps down to FG. Then give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.
+1

"Gunk" = Krausen

Chad

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
zeeba
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thank for the quick responses. Just got a hydrometer last night so I'll test it in a few days.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickHead View Post
+1

"Gunk" = Krausen
= happy yeast

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Quick Reply