Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do Hop Bags Reduce Hop Utilization / IBU?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #11
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 16

most grocery stores sell "reusable" nylon produce bags... perfect for hops and still plenty of room to tie off or knot up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
krenshaw
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 27

lowes 5 gallon paint strainers are what i use on my spider.. hangs nicely into the boil even on 5 gallons with my keggle.. i also have a small piece of copper pipe in there to keep it weighted down, seems to work well

~ A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.

DOWN THE HATCH BREWING
Stainless Hop Spider | Wooden Brew Rig | Dual Hinge Keezer Build

Primaries.. oxy :-(
Keg 1: Apfelwein | Keg 2: BlackEyePA version2 | Keg 3: Summer Saison
Bottles: lots full and even more empty

Old 10-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
ckelly999
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post
The rule of thumb is a 10% reduction in utilization. So not a huge difference either way.
Mea culpa.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #14
Foosier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10t2 View Post
The rule of thumb is a 10% reduction in utilization. So not a huge difference either way.
I don't think anyone has done any experiment to prove/disprove this. The only way to do it would be to take 1 batch of wort, split it into 2 boils with the exact same hop schedule. 1 batch would use a bag, the other the hops would be free. Then you would need to submit it for IBU testing. Outside of doing something like this, taste testing would be rather subjective even if the difference was 10% which I highly doubt it is. I use a 5 gal nylon paint strainer for my hops like others do and there is plenty of freedom for the hops within the bag even with 3-4 oz in the bag.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #15
brewbama
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use a paint strainer bag in a homemade hop spider as well. I've not noticed any difference in the same recipe with or without the spider. But that's not real scientific.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Quick Reply