The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do darker beers ferment stronger

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
raf1919
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Do darker beers ferment stronger

so i'm brewing my first stout (coopers stout extract kit) was xmas gift. well i have coopers fermenter which is pretty large. i have brewed about 10 batches i've never had one come close to blowing out. But this stout the foam started to go into the airlock it just hit the tip and than came down over night.

But i was just surprised to see that. so not sure if its the stout? or the dry coopers yeast? i usually use the liquid yeasts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Stix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Its the higher gravity beers.

Do what ya want and love what ya do. Everything else is just opinion.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppyending View Post
Its the higher gravity beers.
Not necessaryly. I have had low gravity beers go crazy and blow off and high gravity beers just chug along. The biggest blow off I ever had was a stout that was only 1.042 OG. But of course I also had some big beers go crazy too.

Each fermentation is diffferent. Big beer do tend to blow off more often , but small ones can too.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Gravity; fermentation temperature; viability of yeast; style of yeast; nutrients available; size of pitching culture; etc. All of these plus many others can affect the strength of the fermentation action. Take precautions because you never know how a fermentation will act when it first starts.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
WyomingBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Dark beers are dark because of adding darker roasted grains and that has nothing to do with the alcohol content of a beer. Like the guy above who said he made a stout that had an OG of 1.042. Alcohol content is decided by how much fermentable sugar is available for the yeast to eat. You can make high alcohol content beers made entirely of lightly roasted grains and dark beers with small grain bills that have low alcohol content. Color has nothing to do with alcohol content.

Brew What You Drink!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
BrewingPrepper
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just did my second attempt. An oatmeal stout. It started bubbling hard within 7 hours. and slowed waaaay down within 2-3 days. I am trying to figure out why Im not getting vigorous fermentation. Im guessing not a good enough aeration. Any thoughts?

Drinking-IPA
Fermenter-Oatmeal Stout

If anyone has concerns about the direction the world is going please PM me for more details...

Old 01-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #7
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewingPrepper View Post
I just did my second attempt. An oatmeal stout. It started bubbling hard within 7 hours. and slowed waaaay down within 2-3 days. I am trying to figure out why Im not getting vigorous fermentation. Im guessing not a good enough aeration. Any thoughts?
Think about it. Yeast are living creatures . Everyone is different. Ever had a girlfriend that F*****d like a mink sometimes and sometimes was like a dead fish. Yeast can sometime do the nasty really well and sometime are just lazy and just lay there. Depends on mood they are in. Did you do the dishes or buy them jewlery? Crazy wild monkey sex. Lay on the couch and fart... nothing.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
beaston
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingBrewer View Post
Dark beers are dark because of adding darker roasted grains and that has nothing to do with the alcohol content of a beer. Like the guy above who said he made a stout that had an OG of 1.042. Alcohol content is decided by how much fermentable sugar is available for the yeast to eat. You can make high alcohol content beers made entirely of lightly roasted grains and dark beers with small grain bills that have low alcohol content. Color has nothing to do with alcohol content.
I don't think he was talking about alcohol levels. I believe he was referring to how vigorous the fermentation is. That being said, your statement is correct.

Be patient.....your beer will be fine

Old 01-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
masskrug
Shooting for 80%
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Any other variables? Amount of yeast used, different temperatures?

Google Maps Water Report

Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
DrummerBoySeth
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergolf View Post
Think about it. Yeast are living creatures . Everyone is different. Ever had a girlfriend that F*****d like a mink sometimes and sometimes was like a dead fish. Yeast can sometime do the nasty really well and sometime are just lazy and just lay there. Depends on mood they are in. Did you do the dishes or buy them jewlery? Crazy wild monkey sex. Lay on the couch and fart... nothing.
THIS explains everything!!!

"Give a man a beer, and he will waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he will waste a lifetime!" Bill Owen

Quick Reply