The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Do American's have an imature beer taste palate?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #21
highgravitybacon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Who gives a **** what people like? If you like it, drink it. If not, don't. Pretty simple.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
whoaru99
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Do you absolutely avoid anything containing any coconut? I used to until I stumbled across the Girl Scout cookies with toasted coconut. Don't come between me and them...
Had some coconut shrimp one time by accident. I managed to eat a couple without gagging. I won't intentionally eat it though.

Primary: Edwort's Apfelwein
Secondary: Russian Imperial Stout
Drinking: Chinook IPA
Drinking: Waldo Lake Amber
Drinking: Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 12-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #23
Frige
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like trying new things and beer is one of them. That being the case I have drank some nasty crap, but since my Dad taught me never throw away food (probably the reason I am fat) I soldier through it. But most people dont want surprises. They want to drink the same ol swill and not have to worry about it. The big brewers brew nasty beer cause its cheap to make and they are a for profit business.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #24
DerStoff
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I find it's more about what you've grown up with. Growing up in America, with my dad having attended college at chico during the 70s, there was only ever SNPA in the fridge, was my first beer, still is a go-to fav of mine, simple perfect, a taste of home. He has a friend named Bill who grew up in the sticks and only ever drinks coors light. I feel bad whenever I come home and see a box of coors next to a 12er of SNPA in the fridge: I know Bill's over and I just end up feeling like he's missing out.

Having lived in Britain now for years, I've had the opportunity to broaden my tastes with real cask ale (still think there's a market for this in US, IPA market is quite saturated inmo). While I would posit that proportionally more of the population here appreciates the local quality of and variety of ales/beers on offer, I know plenty of people like Bill: grew up with Tennents and Stella in the fridge, we go to a local Belgian Beer Bar and one of my mates gets Guinness and feels left out while the rest of us compare our Cantillons and Karmeliets and Nognes.

It is judgemental and elitist to say things about other people's tastes, but its not so much cultural, and its not so much good/bad taste, its adventurism and intelligent consumption. Some people like researching products they buy and trying new things, some people don't like to think about what they buy, they just do it out of habit. Not bad people, just not very interesting inmo.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #25
Kujo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStoff View Post

Having lived in Britain now for years, I've had the opportunity to broaden my tastes with real cask ale (still think there's a market for this in US, IPA market is quite saturated inmo). While I would posit that proportionally more of the population here appreciates the local quality of and variety of ales/beers on offer, I know plenty of people like Bill: grew up with Tennents and Stella in the fridge, we go to a local Belgian Beer Bar and one of my mates gets Guinness and feels left out while the rest of us compare our Cantillons and Karmeliets and Nognes.

o.
You have a Belgian beer bar?!? I am jealous we have tons of "Irish pubs" and thankfully one that serves some good variety but that's it.

It took me many years to get brave enough to branch out from the basics but even with that my taste is very specific. I'll try anything once and either I'll get it again or not. I personally can't stand guinness but my friends all love it I've tried it a handful of times and still haven't changed that opinion. Probably never will.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #26
DerStoff
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo View Post
You have a Belgian beer bar?!? I am jealous we have tons of "Irish pubs" and thankfully one that serves some good variety but that's it.

It took me many years to get brave enough to branch out from the basics but even with that my taste is very specific. I'll try anything once and either I'll get it again or not. I personally can't stand guinness but my friends all love it I've tried it a handful of times and still haven't changed that opinion. Probably never will.
2 points your post brings up. 1) People who don't like guinness write off stout, such a shame because there are some amazing stouts out there that make you realise guinness is to great stouts (seirra nevada does a decent one, Black Isle Oatmeal Stout (scottish), Redchurch Hoxton Stout (English)) as carling is to say Pilsner Urquell or St Mungos (or a good lager or pilsner)

2) Interest creates enjoyment and enjoyment creates interest. I find I can't really enjoy/appreciate anything (film, band, music style, book, BEER) unless I know about it, how its brewed, where it's from, what are the ingredients, what was the brewer trying to achieve, what ought I be tasting, where is it in keeping with a style, deviating from a style.

I find if I am helped to understand these things, I can enjoy anything! It's really important to keep an open mind of course, but I find that the whole 'blind' tasting thing can be a bit overrated. Taste has a significant psychological component so i say embrace that element and psychologically prime yourself as best as is possible, and most of the time, your taste buds will be more open and receptive!

PS yes the belgian beer bar is awesome, never seen one outside Benelux and in Glasgow Scotland of all places?!!
Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #27
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerStoff View Post
PS yes the belgian beer bar is awesome, never seen one outside Benelux and in Glasgow Scotland of all places?!!
Philly and NYC have a ton of Belgian specific beer bars. Upstate NY even has Ommegang, a Belgian-style brewery right down to the architecture.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #28
nbrack
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I must be one of the odd ones because I actually like the taste of the BMC beers. Especially on a hot day on the golf course! (Is cold a flavor? ). But I do tend to prefer beers with more flavor and body- addicted to Left Hand Milk Stout currently. I also choose to, when possible, not support large companies who use their power to create barriers of entry for competition. So I like the beer, dislike some of the business practices, but taste is all subjective so who am I to question what people want?

Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 835 Times on 619 Posts
Likes Given: 1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbrack View Post
I must be one of the odd ones because I actually like the taste of the BMC beers.
I'm loving Lime-a-Rita right now. It's been a staple in my beer fridge for months!

Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #30
Old-Ned
Stew Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 View Post
Had some coconut shrimp one time by accident. I managed to eat a couple without gagging. I won't intentionally eat it though.
I love coconut, and I love shrimp. But coconut shrimp makes me gag.

Quick Reply