Do all grain mash adjuncts go into steeping water for extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifraf

Reaction score
Hi all,

If an all grain recipe calls for adding things like spices, crackers, etc in the mash for all grain, do I put them in my steeping grain bag? Water? Boil?

And same proportions for the most part?

If your doing an extract batch there are certain grains you dont want to steep(not mashing) because they need help with base malt to convert,otherwise if you steep these certain malts/adjucts without base malt you will get starches.
Spices depend but adding them late to the boil brings them more up front in aroma flavor for the beginning of bottle conditioning for the first few months. Then it starts to fade.
You may want to explain exactly what you got to work with also.

Sure I guess that would help.

Two examples: I recently brewed Slim's Graham cracker ale and he puts crackers in the mash. In that recipe thread it's advised by some to put them in with the steep, and others in the boil. I split the difference.

I'm currently in the process of brewing one Revvy's mole porter and he adds chocolate disks in the mash and boil. For the ones in the mash I threw them in the bag thinking that the grains would strain any particulate like they would in the mash but that was on a whim.

I see a lot of recipes that have things in the mash water and was hoping there was a general rule for extract conversions.

Back