DME vs. LME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoefromPhilly

Reaction score
Is there any real difference between doing extract brews with all DME vs. all LME? Or, do you usually do 50% of each? What are the pros and cons of each method?

- Joe

A couple of other considerations- one is that DME comes in only several kinds. Light, dark, wheat, etc. are about all you can find. LME comes in more varieties, and one I really like is the Pilsner LME. If you're making a recipe that calls for pilsner extract, you're pretty much stuck with LME.

I tend to still prefer DME, since it stores better. I can buy a large bag of DME and seal it in a ziploc bag and it keeps well.

LME tends to be cheaper. But some recipes might call for an OG of, say, 1.070. If you can only find LME in 3.3 pound cans, it's nice to buy the LME and then "make up" the extra two pounds needed in DME. It's not a one-for-one exchange, but it's easy to figure out. That's why some recipes may call for both. It's not really required, though- it's because the brewer might have had those thoughts in mind when he/she made the recipe.

A couple of other considerations- one is that DME comes in only several kinds. Light, dark, wheat, etc. are about all you can find. LME comes in more varieties, and one I really like is the Pilsner LME. If you're making a recipe that calls for pilsner extract, you're pretty much stuck with LME.

I've been using this:

NORTHERN BREWER: Malt Extract
Briess Pilsen DME 1# $4.99
Briess Pilsen DME 3# $11.50

(well, locally bought but same product)

Is this not proper pilsner ME for some reason?

Breiss has pilsner, golden, amber, dark, wheat in DME form

All of the above points, although some say that you have a better chance of getting better beer using DME because it stores better and you might be getting old LME from the store. I think it's just easier to handle. I whisk it in with the heat off and dont' worry about clumps or scorching.

DME costs a bit more because it requires more processing, but you will also use less since the same weight of extract will produce a larger amount of wort (it's more concentrated).

If you get fresh LME there is no reason not to use it IMO. Just make sure to turn the heat off when pouring it in or it might scorch on the bottom of the kettle.

SUNDAY!
SUNDAY!
SUNDAY!

At the convention center, THE BIGGEST FIGHT OF THE YEAR!

DME vs LME

Seats still available at the box office.

Personally, I don't like LME. The water in LME causes the extract to sour quicker. It is a pain to get out of the container. If you are paying to ship by weight, you are paying to ship water.

DME has it's faults (limited variety, clumping), but I much prefer it. If you dump the DME into boiling wort and stir well, clumping is not much of a problem. If you really want more variety, use grain. There are MANY more varieties of grain than any extract type.

The only really bad beer (as in, too nasty to drink) I ever made was due to semi-sour, hopped, canned, LME. Never again!

:(

Back