Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DME plus oatmeal?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
MuddyCreek
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Ya, I've never tried to put oats in the boil... I always include them in the mash which for my stout runs at 154.

Seems to turn out pretty well for me. Of course the oats are in with the base and specialty grains.

Now Serving: Storm The Door Vanilla Porter

Now Serving: Dirty Blonde Ale

On Deck: Good Time Wheat Ale

On Deck: Muddy Creek Chocolate Stout

On Deck: Skinny Cow I.P.A.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys333 View Post
I think I'll substitute a kilo of 2-row and do the partial mash with the oats. What temperature and duration would you recommend for that?
What you're going to make is similar to Dry Stout , so use your dark DME and substitute some of

light DME with pale malt .

152-154 F would be a good temperature for that .

0.3 Kg of oats seems to be too much for this Recipe . I think it would be better to substitute 10% of your base malt with flaked oats .

Hector

Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
DME won't convert oats- they need to be mashed with a base grain.

If you add them to the boil, you'll be making oatmeal in your wort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hector View Post
By the way , there is NO ENZYME in DME as it's previously boiled and dried which denatures enzymes . If you would like to convert starches in oats to sugar , you should do partial mash using some base malt .

Hector
If the OP lives in America, I would agree with these statements
BUT, he measures in L and Kg and thoughtfully translated the L to imperial gallons. This leads me to believe that he could come from UK.

If this is correct, then the DME probably doesn't refer to dry malt extract, it probably refers to Diastatic Malt Extract which is a syrup, and does contain the enzymes required for conversion.

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
KeystoneHomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
If the OP lives in America, I would agree with these statements
BUT, he measures in L and Kg and thoughtfully translated the L to imperial gallons. This leads me to believe that he could come from UK.

If this is correct, then the DME probably doesn't refer to dry malt extract, it probably refers to Diastatic Malt Extract which is a syrup, and does contain the enzymes required for conversion.

-a.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Unless stamped otherwise in BOLD all over the package, any malt extract sold in the US is non-diastatic.

For the OP, I'd be more concerned with flavor as opposed to getting sugars. Giving them a light toast, then steeping in hot water for about 30 minutes, drain and go. Just my 2 pence.

Got a Question? Always happy to help. Just shoot me a message.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:14 AM   #15
rhys333
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the advice folks. I am just going for flavor, so I'll go with the toasted oats and boil for 30. I'll include a little 2-row just to complete the conversion process as well (good test for future batches when i plan to include more grains).

Old 05-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #16
hector
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I am just going for flavor, so I'll go with the toasted oats and boil for 30. I'll include a little 2-row just to complete the conversion process as well.
You've chosen the best way to add flavor to your Beer . Toasting Oats increases the oatmeal character and helps it stand out a bit more in the beer.

Spread the flaked oats out on a cookie sheet and toast them in the oven around 300 °F (149 °C) until they begin to slightly color up and give off a nutty oatmeal cookie character.

If you live in the UK , I suggest to use high quality British pale malt as the base . It provides rich malt character because they are kilned a bit darker than the average North American two-row or pale malt and this higher level of kilning brings out the malt’s biscuit-toasty flavors.

Hector

Old 05-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice folks. I am just going for flavor, so I'll go with the toasted oats and boil for 30. I'll include a little 2-row just to complete the conversion process as well (good test for future batches when i plan to include more grains).
If you're using two row to help with conversion, steep the grains in 2 quarts of water per pound of grain at 150-160F, and then discard the grains. Don't boil the grains in the wort.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
rhys333
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Excellent. Thanks for the great tips.

Quick Reply