Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Beginners Beer Brewing Forum (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/)
-   -   DME plus oatmeal? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dme-plus-oatmeal-413317/)

rhys333 05-28-2013 04:17 AM

DME plus oatmeal?
 
This is my second batch and I'd to try a simple malt extract beer with the addition of oatmeal flakes for improved body and flavor.

I understand oatmeal flakes can be added with the DME directly to the boil as enzymes present in the DME will convert the oat flakes to sugar.

Question is, when to add the oats? I know adding oats to the last 15-10 minutes of the boil is possible, but should i also add at the start of the boil?

I read that steeping flaked oats is not required as the processing (ie steaming and rolling) makes them readily convertible.

I'd like to keep it simple as I still have the training wheels on, but hoping to use the oats for a little creativity. Below is a list of ingredients I'm planning to use. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

23 L (5 imp gal) batch:
1 kg dark DME
2 kg light DME
0.3 kg brown sugar
0.3 kg oat flakes (or quick oats)
30g northern brewer aa 10.6 @ 60 min
30g cascade usa aa 5.9% @ 5 min
Ale yeast

Pratzie 05-28-2013 04:19 AM

I'd get a grain bag for the oats, u don't want them floating around loose in ur BK. Also u might wanna toast them too. U can toast them and not get a really roasted flavor, but almost like a chewy biscuity cookie flavor.

rhys333 05-28-2013 05:18 AM

Thanks for the toasting tip. I will try this for sure. Do I need to use the grain bag for the oats, or can i strain oats, hops and all when transfering to the primary fermenter... Or would the gummy mess just clog my strainer?

Yooper 05-28-2013 10:24 AM

DME won't convert oats- they need to be mashed with a base grain.

If you add them to the boil, you'll be making oatmeal in your wort.

hector 05-28-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhys333 (Post 5228373)
This is my second batch and I'd to try a simple malt extract beer with the addition of oatmeal flakes for improved body and flavor.

I understand oatmeal flakes can be added with the DME directly to the boil as enzymes present in the DME will convert the oat flakes to sugar.

I read that steeping flaked oats is not required as the processing (ie steaming and rolling) makes them readily convertible.

You can not expect any flavor from oatmeal unless they are roasted .

They probably cause some body in your Beer due to long protein chains and Beta-Glucans .

By the way , there is NO ENZYME in DME as it's previously boiled and dried which denatures enzymes . If you would like to convert starches in oats to sugar , you should do partial mash using some base malt .

What you don't need to do with flaked oats is "Cooking" , not steeping , as they are already processed through steaming and rolling .

Hector

ChefRex 05-28-2013 10:52 AM

Slightly off topic is there a large difference between the flaked oats you can pick up at the grocery store and what you can get at your LHBS?

rhys333 05-28-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hector (Post 5228557)

You can not expect any flavor from oatmeal unless they are roasted .

They probably cause some body in your Beer due to long protein chains and Beta-Glucans .

By the way , there is NO ENZYME in DME as it's previously boiled and dried which denatures enzymes . If you would like to convert starches in oats to sugar , you should do partial mash using some base malt .

What you don't need to do with flaked oats is "Cooking" , not steeping , as they are already processed through steaming and rolling .

Hector

Thanks for the tip Hector. I think I'll substitute a kilo of 2-row and do the partial mash with the oats. What temperature and duration would you recommend for that?

rhys333 05-28-2013 06:58 PM

...less than a kilo of 2-row

JDGator 05-28-2013 06:59 PM

I steeped a 500gr of instant oats when i made a cheap Coopers Wheat and i made a nice porage taste. Very mild mind you, but the taste was there. Also made it very cloudy almost milky looking. Beer turned out pretty good.

rhys333 05-28-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDGator (Post 5229723)
I steeped a 500gr of instant oats when i made a cheap Coopers Wheat and i made a nice porage taste. Very mild mind you, but the taste was there. Also made it very cloudy almost milky looking. Beer turned out pretty good.

Did you include malt grain with the oats?


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:35 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.