Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DME and/or LME?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
rhys333
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Default DME and/or LME?

I notice many partial mash recipes out there call for both dme and lme, though I'm unsure why. I'm wondering why not just stick with one type of extract, particularly since many local suppliers generally stock one and not the other... In my area dme is pretty much all they sell unless you want to crack open and raid a beer kit for its lme.

Is there a benefit to mixing the two? If recipes call for base malt and specialty grains anyway, isn't that where the customization comes in? Puzzled :/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhys333 View Post
I notice many partial mash recipes out there call for both dme and lme, though I'm unsure why. I'm wondering why not just stick with one type of extract, particularly since many local suppliers generally stock one and not the other... In my area dme is pretty much all they sell unless you want to crack open and raid a beer kit for its lme.

Is there a benefit to mixing the two? If recipes call for base malt and specialty grains anyway, isn't that where the customization comes in? Puzzled :/
The reason for the mixing is usually due to the availability. For example, for me, LME only comes in 3.3 pound cans. If you need 5 pounds of LME, I would use 3.3 pounds in the can, and then use DME (1.5 pounds or so) to make up the difference.

Sometimes it's because there is a specialty extract used- like pilsner DME or Munich LME- but not usually.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
woozy
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sometimes recipes are written by accident. "Well, I did this and it came out good so..."

If you need to adjust

1 lb LME = .8 lb DME
1 lb DME = 1.25 lbs LME

unless I'm having a brain fart and doing it wrong. In which case, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Once it's determined that Bob's Net Works makes fishing equipment there's really no point discussing why nylon woven rope is not a good choice for the router and server needs of your online presence.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
rhys333
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Thanks both for clarifying. I guessed it was that but wasn't sure. On the concentration calculation... I've been using the same ratio for dme:lme weights

Quick Reply