DIY Wort Chiller- Any Real Savings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcummings1998

Reaction score
After countless hours of research and comparison, I decided that I would just make my immersion chiller myself; after all, all you really need to do is wrap the copper around a cylindrical object, and attach some hoses for the inlet and outlet.

This page, along with a Don Osborn video, were the deciding factors for me doing it myself.

I was pretty surprised when I got to Home Depot and found the 50' 1/4" copper tubing was $40, and 3/8" (like I wanted) was $56. So much for the $11 suggested on that page I linked to!

That's really not going to save any money going that route. The LHBS has them for around $45, and even better than that, I have a $25 gift certificate to Midwest, so I would only actually have to pay around $25 to get one already made.

I guess what I'm wondering is, was that price on the website circa 1996? How is it so different?

Home Depot, et al, only sell 50' or 20', not 25' like I would be alright settling for. So I would probably have to go with 50' if I were to build it. I know that the ones for sale are usually 25', but would it even be worth it to make one that's 50'?

Why would you build one if you can buy it for essentially the same cost? I'm all for saving money, but not at the expense of driving around getting parts, spending time making the thing, etc.

I was going to DIY one too but copper has gone way up. Bought one on eBay with soldered hose fittings for around sixty dollars, well worth the aggravation and time I saved.

I was going to DIY one too but copper has gone way up. Bought one on eBay with soldered hose fittings for around sixty dollars, well worth the aggravation and time I saved.

That must be it. Until copper drops to a reasonable cost, I think I'll buy.

Care to send me a link of the one you got, or something like it? Is it something like this?

If you make one, use 20' length of flex copper. It's what I used and it works fine. A 20' length is only like 12 bucks. I would caution against building one unless you absolutely know what you are doing. If that length of copper get kinked AT ALL, then it's a waste and you need to buy a new one. I built mine, but I did kink my first length.

After countless hours of research and comparison, I decided that I would just make my immersion chiller myself; after all, all you really need to do is wrap the copper around a cylindrical object, and attach some hoses for the inlet and outlet.

This page, along with a Don Osborn video, were the deciding factors for me doing it myself.

I was pretty surprised when I got to Home Depot and found the 50' 1/4" copper tubing was $40, and 3/8" (like I wanted) was $56. So much for the $11 suggested on that page I linked to!

That's really not going to save any money going that route. The LHBS has them for around $45, and even better than that, I have a $25 gift certificate to Midwest, so I would only actually have to pay around $25 to get one already made.

I guess what I'm wondering is, was that price on the website circa 1996? How is it so different?

Home Depot, et al, only sell 50' or 20', not 25' like I would be alright settling for. So I would probably have to go with 50' if I were to build it. I know that the ones for sale are usually 25', but would it even be worth it to make one that's 50'?

Why would you build one if you can buy it for essentially the same cost? I'm all for saving money, but not at the expense of driving around getting parts, spending time making the thing, etc.

I ran in to the same thing a year ago when I bought my second one...I ended up going with stainless steel after owning a copper one, and I absolutely love it.
I think that Midwest is going to try and get you on the shipping cost and thats why I bought mine from these guys: http://nybrewsupply.com/products/wort-chiller-stainless-steel-immersion.php it ended up being less than $50.

If you make one, use 20' length of flex copper. It's what I used and it works fine. A 20' length is only like 12 bucks. I would caution against building one unless you absolutely know what you are doing. If that length of copper get kinked AT ALL, then it's a waste and you need to buy a new one. I built mine, but I did kink my first length.

I would like to go on record as saying that I have no idea what I am doing. It seems like something I could easily figure out, but I have no experience doing anything like this, nor with working with copper in general.

dcummings1998 said:

I am in the same boat, after researching how to make one all the prices that were quoted were way off, the price of copper is through the roof right now. You can find a 3/8" chiller for $55 shipped to your door on eBay. I think that is the route I'm going to take.

I am in the same boat, after researching how to make one all the prices that were quoted were way off, the price of copper is through the roof right now. You can find a 3/8" chiller for $55 shipped to your door on eBay. I think that is the route I'm going to take.

Alright, so it's not just me. Hey, do you have any thoughts on the chillers with the vinyl tubing, vs the ones with the brass screw-on fittings? The brass fittings look like they'd be nice, I'm just not sure if it would make sense to have those if I am planning on hooking it up to my kitchen sink for now.

Unless you know how to solder copper (which really is quite simple) and can solder on a coupling where the kink was!

I built mine using a paint can as a mold. Put the pipe bender back in the package and return it to home depot :). I also used a generic rubber washing machine supply hose, which accepts the 3/8 copper very nicely with a couple of ss hose clamps on the supply side of the chiller.

Copper got to be very expensive during the building boom 2003-2006, and is still a lot more expensive than it was in the past. That's why you're seeing plastics like PEX and CPVC being used more and more in plumbing applications.

dcummings1998 said:
Alright, so it's not just me. Hey, do you have any thoughts on the chillers with the vinyl tubing, vs the ones with the brass screw-on fittings? The brass fittings look like they'd be nice, I'm just not sure if it would make sense to have those if I am planning on hooking it up to my kitchen sink for now.

If you flare out the end of the tubing then put the vinyl over it and butt the clamp against the flare it will stay on. And yes I agree the brass fittings are very nice.

Yeah copper prices are rediculous right now. I just made one 1/2" OD (3/8 ID). Got the tubing (50 ft) from Lowes for $55. Mine was quite expensive by the time I was done because I soldered in 90's instead of bending. Also installed a ball valve and used garden hose fittings for both influent and effluent. Glad I did it that way, takes about 10 mins to chill to pitching temp and I'll have it for years.

Those aren't bad prices at all slim. At least I dont think.

I agree, they have great deals on copper and stainless...like I said, I had copper worked great, but now I have a stainless one and love how durable it is and how easily it cleans up!

rizomee said:
Those aren't bad prices at all slim. At least I dont think.

You're right, that's not bad. It seems like the same debate with SS vs copper chillers exists as the one between SS and aluminum pots. I understand that copper transfers heat better, but to what extent is where I'm unclear.

dcummings1998 said:
You're right, that's not bad. It seems like the same debate with SS vs copper chillers exists as the one between SS and aluminum pots. I understand that copper transfers heat better, but to what extent is where I'm unclear.

It seems like stainless is damn near an insulator compared to copper. How are all those stainless chillers HEX coils working in comparison?

at the local homebrew store, they want $60 for a 1/8" x 25' copper wort chiller. i bought a 25' coil of the same stuff in a cardboard box at Lowe's, plus the plastic hose and garden hose attachment for $30.

it was already coiled in the box, so 99% of the bending was already done. i did the other 1% carefully by hand. turned out great.

dcummings1998 said:

Copper does work quicker as a wort chiller....I think I have noticed 1 or 2 minute difference in the time it takes me to cool 5 gallons of wort, but I'm ok with an extra minute...the comfort I get in knowing that I have a piece of equipment that I can easily clean and will last forever makes me forget about that extra minute.

If you value your time at more than $1 an hour, then just go buy one pre-made. You have to decide at some point in this pastime whether or not you're a DIY'er. Some are. I'm not.

I bought my already coiled 20' copper at Lowes, including fittings, clamps and hose I was out of there in under $35.00. Took about ten minutes to assembly. Just used it this afternoon got my wort down from 200 degrees to 75 degrees in 15 minutes.

I bought mine at Learn To Brew: http://www.learntobrew.com. They have a 25' one for $40 and 50 ft for $65, both with garden hose attachments. Shipping for the 50 ft was only $8, very reasonable. It was actually cheaper than what I could buy the components for at Home Depot/Lowe's, at least here... Give them a try if you don't want to build, or cannot build it for cheaper.

I ended up building it myself. For all the parts I needed (20' 3/8" copper tubing, 20' vinyl tubing, hose clamps, hose adapter, and faucet adapter), it came to about $40. I wanted to get one ASAP, so this made the most sense.

I took the picture next to my kettle to show that it's high enough that the tubes easily clear the rim of the pot. My buddy had one that wasn't tall enough and the vinyl rested on the pot if you didn't babysit it. I like this version better. I also threw it into the 8-gal behemoth and it had perfect clearance. All in all, a success!

image-3857740698.jpg

dcummings1998 said:
I ended up building it myself. For all the parts I needed (20' 3/8" copper tubing, 20' vinyl tubing, hose clamps, hose adapter, and faucet adapter), it came to about $40. I wanted to get one ASAP, so this made the most sense.

I took the picture next to my kettle to show that it's high enough that the tubes easily clear the rim of the pot. My buddy had one that wasn't tall enough and the vinyl rested on the pot if you didn't babysit it. I like this version better. I also threw it into the 8-gal behemoth and it had perfect clearance. All in all, a success!

Oh and just to add, I took a pot of water from 220 to 80 in 8 minutes flat. I feel like that's great efficiency!

I'm not sure if it'll be the same with wort though. For all I know, the wort may take longer to cool. Oh, and I was really stirring it, and I can't remember if you are supposed to gently or violently stir when chilling.

I was able to build mine for approx $36 of materials I bought at Lowes and compared to what they go for around here, approx $70-$80 at LHBS. So yes you can save money by DIY. Mine works well and has been able to cool boiling wort in around 15 min to pitching temps.

beerloaf

If you value your time at more than $1 an hour, then just go buy one pre-made. You have to decide at some point in this pastime whether or not you're a DIY'er. Some are. I'm not.

I am a "DIYer" but lately I haven't had the time. I bought one from Midwest Supplies. The price I paid was the same as if I were go to Lowes and buy the supplies (honestly). And my time and effort covered the shipping.

Diver165 said:
I am a "DIYer" but lately I haven't had the time. I bought one from Midwest Supplies. The price I paid was the same as if I were go to Lowes and buy the supplies (honestly). And my time and effort covered the shipping.

I thought that too but the cheapest on at Midwest was a SS for $50. I paid less than that and got copper, so I'm happy about that. It was pretty fun to make as well!

hate to jump in late, but none of y'all need to worry about the heat transfer properties of SS vs copper.. the most efficient data centers on the planet use plate frame heat exchangers fabricated from stainless steel. i think a SS wort chiller is fine by comparison :)

My concern is that the copper at Home Depot andbLowes only comes in 10', 20', and 50' lengths. Is there gonna be a major problem with only having a 20' chiller? I only go 5 gallon batches.

Have you guys bothered to check anywhere else besides Lowes or home depot? I live in a smaller town where things can be difficult to source, and the plumbing supply store in town had cut by the foot copper tubing (3/8") for significantly less than the box stores. Bought all the fittings and vinyl tubing for something like $35 bucks for a 30 ft chiller.

Just something to look into. The Home Depot and Lowes are not always cheapest in town.

My concern is that the copper at Home Depot andbLowes only comes in 10', 20', and 50' lengths. Is there gonna be a major problem with only having a 20' chiller? I only go 5 gallon batches.

I used Lowe's 20' coil of 5/8". I bought a couple of straight pieces for the uprights, used elbows for the connections, and brass hose fittings.
Since it came in a coil shape, it was easy to hand-bend to form a 10" circle.
I might have went overkill with the straight pieces and elbows but, IMO, it looks much neater than just bending up the inlet and outlet ends. The key is to shape it according to the shape of your kettle.
Anyway, it all cost $48 and it does a great job.

LBHS has one in Fairbanks for 85 bucks. I bought a 25' copper roll for $36 bucks and two garden hose adapters for $5.65 a piece. It took me about half an hour to coil it and I Red RTV'd and hose clamped the fittings in the pipe. Buying anything and shipping it to AK is a PITA (6oz of hops from NB is $22+ in shipping for 6 days)

Once I add the shipping it's almost always cheaper to DIY stuff where applicable.

I think it's a case-by-case basis on whether or not it's a cost savings and I know a lot of people (ME) love to tinker with things and make things so you have that intangible to consider as well.

Happy Brewing.

I just got a 3/8" x 50' coil from Amazon for $57.54 free 2 day shipping. Will be here Friday, brewing Saturday.

I made mine for my first brew from parts I bought at Lowes. 20' of 3/8" copper, some tubing, adapter's for my facet, and some hose clamps. Came out to $50. I saved a couple bucks and at least I was able to get it custom to fit my faucet. I wouldn't feel bad buying one pre-made though.

I had made one from 20 ft of 3/8 and it cost around $30 with all the parts. It works great and drops the temp in no time at all. I would not buy a premade one when you can DIY for half as much.

I just went through this make vs. buy decision on my new wort chiller. I wanted a 50 ft. chiller as I plan to do larger batches in the future. The 1/2 inch 50 ft. copper tubing at homedepot is $80, and that doesn't include any of the hose attachments. I bought the same spec wort chiller, with shipping, pre-made, and with hose attachments for a little over $100. For me, it was well worth the extra $20 to have it pre-made. Technically, my wife bought it for me for Christmas which is cool.

Cheers everyone.

IMG_3282.jpg

I bought the parts at Lowes also. To me, it is not about the cost savings. Just like brewing the beer, it is about the satisfaction knowing that you made it. This was also the easiest project I have assembled and it saved about $20 over the exact same item at my LHBS.

I ran in to the same thing a year ago when I bought my second one...I ended up going with stainless steel after owning a copper one, and I absolutely love it.
I think that Midwest is going to try and get you on the shipping cost and thats why I bought mine from these guys: Homebrew Supplies: Buy home brewing supplies at NY Brew Supply it ended up being less than $50.

I ended up buying from nybrewsupply as it cost less that $10.00 more with shipping for me to buy rather than make.

I put my own together and it wasn't worth it. I don't know how to attach proper fittings, and to this day I just have ring clamps on the tubing. The copper was expensive and it basically looks like crap. It does work however, so not all is wasted.

I'm buying a 10 gallon pot and I'll have to modify it now too so that it will reach in. At least I left all the extra copper attached.

Back