DIY stir plate problems, cheap Erlenmeyer Flask alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So,
I just followed the cheap DIY easy stir plate thread, got my stir plate working, however my problem now is that I tried using it with a growler, but the growler has a rounded bottom. I ended up getting a larger stir bar, that may be my problem? But, now when I try it, the bar just sits on the side of the growler, because the bottom is curved.

Has anyone found a cheap alternative to the $30 Erlenmeyer Flask? Possibly some glass that is large and has a flat bottom?

Thanks

A large glass kar with a thin flat bottom. :mug: Try going to the warehouse store and see if they have any gallon pickle jars with a flat bottom.

So,
I just followed the cheap DIY easy stir plate thread, got my stir plate working, however my problem now is that I tried using it with a growler, but the growler has a rounded bottom. I ended up getting a larger stir bar, that may be my problem? But, now when I try it, the bar just sits on the side of the growler, because the bottom is curved.

Has anyone found a cheap alternative to the $30 Erlenmeyer Flask? Possibly some glass that is large and has a flat bottom?

Thanks

$30 bucks? Try $12...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XR5VMI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Also, my LHBS has them for about ten. Look around for places locally that sell lab supplies. You should be able to find something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Know anyone that works in a lab? I got lucky. A neighbor came down to see what I was doing with my meth lab one day. Explained everything and that I was moving to Yeast Starters as my next step. Abouta week later he brought me a brand new, still taped box 2L Erlenmeyer. Said he accidentally ordered an extra one on that weeks order and that he really likes Ambers :ban:

Last edited by a moderator:
for a small starter, you could also use a pint glass if you have nothing else, however, I feel that would be less than ideal

Have you played with your magnet height yet? I use domed bottom containers without any problems. I had to play with my magnet height to get it dialed in though. Also, does your stir bar have a pivot ring? That will help as well.

The magnet doesn't have a pivot ring, it was just a 5$ stir bar I got at the LHBS. I was looking at the 2L flask. As I do 10 gallon batches, and I like to grow the yeast from 1 pack then pitch it, to save some money.

Good call on the flower vase, we just got one for the wedding shower. I wonder if SWMBO will let me use it. Otherwise I'll hike down to the Goodwill store.

Thanks for the idea guys

We have a pair of kitchen measuring cups.. one is 1L and the other is 2L. Both are pyrex.. both have flat bottoms in the inside. Should work just fine and are easy to find in kitchenware places.. maybe even the $ stores. Fill to desired amount and cover with saran wrap with a pinhole in it... or alum foil.. no pinhole necessary.

I didn't even think to get one of the cheap like cool-aid pitchers from walmart, i like the measuring cup too

Back