Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > DIY cold crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default DIY cold crashing

ok guys, I don't have a fridge to cold crash my beer. HOWEVER trying to do a makeshift coldrash by filling my rope tub with water and 4 Two-Liter soda bottles that I'm rotating as fast as I can freeze them. Right now I can keep it at 50-52 degrees. will that help to drop stuff out of suspension or am I wasting my time if I can't get down to 40 degrees F???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #2
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Sorry, but you are wasting your time. According to Charlie Bamforth, the brewing expert, you need to get beer down to 32f (that's 0c for the rest of the world) to clear it up. That really only needs to be overnight to do it, but it needs to be that cold to drop stuff out.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
Sorry, but you are wasting your time. According to Charlie Bamforth, the brewing expert, you need to get beer down to 32f (that's 0c for the rest of the world) to clear it up. That really only needs to be overnight to do it, but it needs to be that cold to drop stuff out.
ok, I can live with that but 32 degrees???? that's freezing... if that's the case then cold crashing in the fridge wouldn't do anything either since your typical fridge doesn't get below 38-40 degrees

Old 10-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
DanseMacabre
Recipes 

Is this question pertaining to one brew in particular, or all of your beers? The reason I ask is that I had one stubborn beer that the yeast would not drop out of suspension. I had to add gelatin and cold crash in my fridge (37F), but it did work. Aside from that one beer, I leave my beers in the primary for at least 4 weeks, and they come out nice and clear the longer I leave them on primary. Then again, I also keg all my beers and leave them in my keezer @ 44F for three weeks to carbonate

Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanseMacabre View Post
Is this question pertaining to one brew in particular, or all of your beers? The reason I ask is that I had one stubborn beer that the yeast would not drop out of suspension. I had to add gelatin and cold crash in my fridge (37F), but it did work. Aside from that one beer, I leave my beers in the primary for at least 4 weeks, and they come out nice and clear the longer I leave them on primary. Then again, I also keg all my beers and leave them in my keezer @ 44F for three weeks to carbonate
just one brew, this is a fast pale mild, so It's only gonna be in the ale pale 2 weeks tomorrow. Just getting any remain Krausen that was floating to get out before bottling

Old 10-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I cold crash at 33-34F for 48 hours and the clarity is fantastic. Always a 2 week ferment at an ambient of 64F

If you can't do a decent cold crash I'd just leave the beer in the fermenter for a longer period of time. But I'm just assuming that's the ideal alternative. I haven't tried to use anything other than 1/2 tbsp'ish irish moss at the final 10 min of the boil to help with clairity. Not even sure that's why I'm using Irish moss haha. My beers are tasting freaking fantastic!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePonchoKid View Post
I cold crash at 33-34F for 48 hours and the clarity is fantastic. Always a 2 week ferment at an ambient of 64F

If you can't do a decent cold crash I'd just leave the beer in the fermenter for a longer period of time. But I'm just assuming that's the ideal alternative. I haven't tried to use anything other than 1/2 tbsp'ish irish moss at the final 10 min of the boil to help with clairity. Not even sure that's why I'm using Irish moss haha. My beers are tasting freaking fantastic!!!
gotcha, clarity has never bothered me really, my beers taste amazing even if cloudy so I be happy. was just trying to see if it could be done this (AZ heat sucks)

Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #8
ThePonchoKid
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
gotcha, clarity has never bothered me really, my beers taste amazing even if cloudy so I be happy. was just trying to see if it could be done this (AZ heat sucks)
you could dig a hole and line it/insulate it with Styrofoam. The dew worms love it, and it might be decent for the final week of the brew, haha. I'm actually serious, and half crazy

Old 10-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #9
DanseMacabre
Recipes 

Ok, well it seems to me your best option is to not rush the bottling process. If you are fermenting in an ale pale, are you assuming a krausen layer or are you continually opening the lid to check it out? The idea of a "fast" pale is, admittedly, lost on me. The longer I leave things in a primary the clearer they get, and the better they taste. That being said, if I'm making a really hoppy beer I don't want to loose hop flavor. This is where dry hopping and keg hopping come into play.

The worst case scenario, just siphon from your pale (or drain via the spigot) and the remnant krausen will be left behind if you are careful. This assumes you've reached your FG, your are at FG?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #10
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanseMacabre View Post
Ok, well it seems to me your best option is to not rush the bottling process. If you are fermenting in an ale pale, are you assuming a krausen layer or are you continually opening the lid to check it out? The idea of a "fast" pale is, admittedly, lost on me. The longer I leave things in a primary the clearer they get, and the better they taste. That being said, if I'm making a really hoppy beer I don't want to loose hop flavor. This is where dry hopping and keg hopping come into play.

The worst case scenario, just siphon from your pale (or drain via the spigot) and the remnant krausen will be left behind if you are careful. This assumes you've reached your FG, your are at FG?
yup, 2nd gravity test taken this morning. sitting at 1.004 for 3 days straight.

Quick Reply