Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > dividing up the boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Gtrfrk182
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default dividing up the boil?

i have read on here that you can divide up the boil if you do not have a big enough pot, but i havent found much detail on it.
heres the situation (no im not from NJ)

i ONLY have one 3 gallon pot and london porter recipe from AHS.
the recipe calls for boiling 2.5 gal then mashing the grains in that, then i would have to sparge another .5 gal, which brings me up to 3 gal(the size of my pot).

after this it says to put all wort back into pot so i can continue to add my 3 lbs of DME, hops, etc. which would obvioulsy overflow my pot.

question is, after adding the sparge water into my mash tun(now at 3 gal) and mixing it evenly, can i pour, say 2 gal, back into my pot to dissolve the DME and add hops....boil for necessary amount of time, then be able to pour the 2 gal of wort and the remaining 1 gal in the mash tun into my bucket to add the yeast then ferment?
or will this not mix correctly?

sorry if this is confusing.... i confused myself.
thanks for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I....think I got it? 2 issues I see here:

1. By doing a 2 gallon boil instead of a 3 gallon boil, you're hop efficiency is changing and will affect the final beer. Not the end of the world, but something to be aware of.

2. If you're not boiling the other gallon of wort AT ALL, you're asking for problems. You could boil and add it afterward, though.

If you're going to do a split boil, do yourself a favor and go get another cheap stock pot. It'll be much less of a hassle and then you can actually do 5 gallon boils. I did all-grain on my stove like this for over a year and it works great once you get the hang of it.

On Tap: Lime Basil Wheat, Pumpkin Spice Ale, Coffee Blonde
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse

Old 09-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Gtrfrk182
Recipes 

ok thanks alot!
now if i boil the last gallon by itself, how long do you think i should let it roll for? should i consider using 2/3 of the DME and all the hops on the 2 gal batch then 1/3 DME on that last gallon?

id love another pot but this is as far a poor college kid can go right now,lol

Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

As long as you're not hopping it, you should only have to boil the last gallon for 5-10 minutes.

On Tap: Lime Basil Wheat, Pumpkin Spice Ale, Coffee Blonde
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Rhubarb Berliner Weisse

Quick Reply