The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Distinct sulfur smell in a current batch of beer.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #11
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Programs just apply the average attenuation of the yeast to predict FG. Beersmith predicts 1.011 for that recipe. If I had to guess I'd say the use of the highly fermentable dextrose and rice are the reasons the gravity is lower than expected. Have you calibrated your hydrometer? I don't think 10 days is unreasonable for a lager ferment time. Mine have taken 10 to 14. Your beer may be a little drier than you expected, but that's fine for most lagers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewd00d View Post
OK guys. Just took a grav. reading and its 1.006 my OG was 1.044

This is my own extract lager beer i devised myself and the one of the beer calcs online came in handy. The estimated FG of my beer is supposed to be 1.010-1.014

Put in the fermenter 1/10/11 and today is 1/20/11. I know lagers took a while but either the beer is actually done fermenting or the beer calc is crazy. Im not worried or anything but should i expect it to go even lower or do lagers usually ferment this quick?

The brew has had about 7-8 days of continuous yet slow bubbles escaping in the air lock, yesterday it just slowed down a tad. Fermenting at 56 degrees F

Just in case you brew guys have better brew calcs than what on the internet, plug in my stuff and try it out:

3lbs Muttons Extra Light DME
1lb Rice Syrup Solids
1lb 9oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
-------------------------------
Saflager S-23
-------------------------------
1oz Saaz Hops Boiled @ 60min

I still to plan on taking a couple more readings over the nest 2-3 days just to be sure it done.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the lager fermenting speeds?
Only three pounds of DME? And the rest corn sugar and rice syrup? Yeah I'd say that the yeast could munch through that pretty quickly and it'll finish dry. 50% malt? Not a very good recipe, that's for sure. It could explain why it was so stinky and finished so quickly. Where did you get it?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #13
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for chiming in. I haven't calibrated it, however its been spot on with with other beer kits i have made.

I guess i thought those programs would have taken that into account, but i guess even machine arent perfect.

I do expect it to be a little dry and thats what i was going for. Im happy to hear that some (or most) lagers finish within the two week period.

I openly admit that i do use the secondary for all my beers all have been ales. I know everyone on the forums see the glass half for or see it half empty in terms of using a secondary, but putting aside personal preference, with lagers (this being my first one) do people still keep it in the primary even during the 2-stage cold fermentation or do they switch it to the carboy for the 2-stage cold fermentation?

I didnt know if its different because its a lager and they are stored longer or if there isnt a difference between using a secondary whether is an ale or a lager.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for chiming in. I haven't calibrated it, however its been spot on with with other beer kits i have made.

I guess i thought those programs would have taken that into account, but i guess even machine arent perfect.

I do expect it to be a little dry and thats what i was going for. Im happy to hear that some (or most) lagers finish within the two week period.

I openly admit that i do use the secondary for all my beers all have been ales. I know everyone on the forums see the glass half for or see it half empty in terms of using a secondary, but putting aside personal preference, with lagers (this being my first one) do people still keep it in the primary even during the 2-stage cold fermentation or do they switch it to the carboy for the 2-stage cold fermentation?

I didnt know if its different because its a lager and they are stored longer or if there isnt a difference between using a secondary whether is an ale or a lager.
Definitely rack it to a carboy right after the diacetyl rest! I'm a big believer in getting lagers off of the yeast cake when the diacetyl rest is over.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #15
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Only three pounds of DME? And the rest corn sugar and rice syrup? Yeah I'd say that the yeast could munch through that pretty quickly and it'll finish dry. 50% malt? Not a very good recipe, that's for sure. It could explain why it was so stinky and finished so quickly. Where did you get it?
I came up with it myself. Just experimenting really. Someone told me make bud, miller, coors clone. So thats what i did. Either way its a win win. Either it comes out tasting really close or next time i know WHAT NOT to do and i have that extra experience.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 AM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
I came up with it myself. Just experimenting really. Someone told me make bud, miller, coors clone. So thats what i did. Either way its a win win. Either it comes out tasting really close or next time i know WHAT NOT to do and i have that extra experience.
That's the spirit!

Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #17
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

FYI brewdood, noone seems to have answered your question about the sulphur smell. It is normal...AND that is the reason we lager beer to begin with. The yeast produce sulphuric compounds as a result of fermentation, but in the cold aging process of lagering the yeast cleans those byproducts of fermentation away. When we say "the yeast clean up after themselves" that's what we're talking about.

SO yeah those rhino farts in during fermentation are perfectly normal. And after lagering they will be perfectly gone.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #18
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Definitely rack it to a carboy right after the diacetyl rest! I'm a big believer in getting lagers off of the yeast cake when the diacetyl rest is over.
Thanks Yoop. For the diacetyl rest would you think im at the appropriate time to do it and would you suggest i bring it to a temp in the mid 60's?

I have heard some people do about 60-80% before fermentation is complete and some do it a couple days after the grav reading is stable.

What do you suggest?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #19
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
FYI brewdood, tnoone seems to have a swered your question about the sulphur smell. It is normal...AND that is the reason we lager beer to begin with. The yeast produce sulphuric compounds as a result of fermentation, but in the cold aging process of lagering the yeast cleans those byproducts of fermentation away. When we say "the yeast clean up after themselves" that's what we're talking about.

SO yeah those rhino farts in during fermentation are perfectly normal. And after lagering they will be perfectly gone.
Rofl. I think im gonna add your quote as my signature.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #20
brewd00d
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

since my beer is so light in terms of flavor (no aroma no bitterness) anything i do that would cause an off flavor would stand out so easily. should i do the diacetyl rest as Yooper has pointed out?

its been fermenting at 57 Deg. F. Should i go to like 65? Higher?

Quick Reply