Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dissapointing batch!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #1
lewishowardm3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Hi all. I just opened a bottle of my 3rd batch and to say I'm disappointed is a understatement. It has been sitting for two weeks to clear in the bottles.
It has a puffft when opening so I assume it's carbonated. It has no head retention at all. It seems very watery light in body and is very sweet.
I'm from England and I got this kit from my LHBS. It's a shire maker home brew. It's meant to be a dark ale. Don't know weather to ditch it or is there any way I can improve it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You'll find that time cures most issues. Let it sit a few more weeks, put a bottle in the fridge for a few days then try again. Repeat until it's where you want it. How is the taste?

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

Yes,there is. Leave it to condition for 4 weeks,then at least one week in the fridge. It's not properly conditioned yet,& hasn't finshed carbonating either. And co2 absorbtion at cold temps doesn't work that fast either. 2 weeks in the fridge will give thicker head & longer lasting carbonation.
It sounds like not all the priming sugar was converted yet. Patience is a vertue to brewers.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
BrewScout
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Give it another week minimum in the bottles. 2 Weeks would be better. Then put a couple in the fridge for at least 3 days (because CO2 dissolves better into cold liquid). If you post the recipe and your process we can better help you to get the results you are expecting.

Conserve water, Drink beer!

Old 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #5
johnp
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 10

2 weeks is not always long enough to carb, you may be tasting sweetness from the priming sugar. Don't throw it just keep tastin one every week or two.

The watery body can be a product of your recipe, what was your recipe?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
lewishowardm3
Recipes 

Cheers I'll leave it then. It tastes like beer but seems a bit watery but don't no weather thats because its not ready yet?

Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2108 Times on 1846 Posts
Likes Given: 1556

Most often,beers are watery because they're not fully carbonated. That changes our perception of mouthfeel.

Old 07-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
lewishowardm3
Recipes 

It's a shiremaker kit. 1.7kg LME, 1kg dextrose. 5 gallon batch. OG 1052 FG 1008. Bottled after 7 days at 24c (75f aprox). It's not a well known kit. Maybe I'll stick to the well known kits. I got a coopers ipa on ATM. Will be dry hopping too

Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 81

37% of fermentables are sugar. That'll probably thinned it out. I'd use kits that didn't contain sugar, they're probably a bit more expensive since thy'll contain more extract.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1206

You will find other kits or find ingredients to brew with that would suit your tastes more. Maybe fresher ingredinets and a recipe that fits a style you like would be better. Maybe get the ingredients seperatly using a recipe that you like on the forum here.Im shure if you do extract only it can be converted from all grain as well.

3 weeks may be a bit young to decide if its good or ready yet,see what you think after a few more weeks,but more likely a month.The taste of beer usually changes in the process and i think its still green yet. I have just done this with a esb,fermented 2 weeks then bottled and checked one at a week. Had a 1.04 OG, so i thought i would see how it was young,it was moderatley carbed and could just tell it will get much better after a few more weeks/month. Mine did taste good but i think i got my process down where they dont need to age much.

Quick Reply