Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > This is disgusting...is this an infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #31
fnord
don't see me
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 65

aquarium heater, repurpose your swamp cooler (you've got one of those for some semblance of temp contrrol, right?)

When I bought mine the cashier at petsmart tried to make conversation and asked what size tank I had, the perplexed look on his face when I said a couple 6.5 gallon buckets was priceless.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2012, 04:24 AM   #32
james138
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, I still have a lid on the bucket and it is sitting in the basement on a table and not on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord
aquarium heater, repurpose your swamp cooler (you've got one of those for some semblance of temp contrrol, right?)

When I bought mine the cashier at petsmart tried to make conversation and asked what size tank I had, the perplexed look on his face when I said a couple 6.5 gallon buckets was priceless.
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have thermostat and that's about it!

On a side note, if your looking for a fun brainless action flic, the Raid: Redemption is fabulous. It's even better with copious amounts of Scotch.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #33
fnord
don't see me
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have thermostat and that's about it!
Sorry, it is in reference to how to raise the temp up to try to make sure that fermentation is done. I use a water bath (probably improper to call it a swamp cooler, my understanding is that swamp coolers are evaporative coolers) to control my fermentation temps. Add frozen water bottles to keep it in the low 60s for the first few days on cleaner beers, with yeast strains that like a higher temp or tend to stall out I usually raise the temp of the water bath to at least 80 (over a few days) with an aquarium heater after the first few days.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #34
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post

We just moved a few weeks ago. I had put the fish, and the fake plants in an old ale pail. I put an air stone through the airlock hole and set it in the garage at the new place. I setup the aquarium in its new spot but could not the heater, filters, other pumps and all the other stuff. The fish sat in the pail for 3 weeks in the hot garage until the accessories finally showed up and all the fish survived.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:17 AM   #35
james138
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info...right now I'm getting some activity on my airlock about every 30 seconds. So I assume it still fermenting and hope that's a good sign!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #36
james138
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So this is the same beer 12 days later. This looks so gross. Should I try racking it to a secondary?

image-432307240.jpg

Old 08-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #37
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post
So this is the same beer 12 days later. This looks so gross. Should I try racking it to a secondary?
That looks delicious. Fermentation is an ugly nasty process with all the fungus sex, gorging on sugar, farting CO2 and pissing alcohol. If you put the lid on and never looked at it until bottling time 30 days later, you would have a few less grey hairs (or is that just me).

Old 08-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #38
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138
Looks fine to me. Have you taste it again? Id check you FG if your good wait another day and do another FG. Still stable ypu rack if you want. Or leave it sit in primary for another week or bottle up to you. If I was home I would show you my Oktoberfest nice and yeasty. Your beer is fine unless it smells sour or different.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:32 PM   #39
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

If it still tastes good, rack it and let it fall clear. It'll be fine, that really doesn't look like an infection at all.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #40
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Seriously, you said in your first post that you did not filter the hops...Just dumped everything in the fermentor? That is fin but expect a ton of hop and protein everywhere.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS