Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dip Tube Refuses to Budge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Dip Tube Refuses to Budge

The air in dip tube on my ball lock corney keg refuses to budge. I bought it used a couple weeks ago but am only now getting around to cleaning it.

Any suggestions? The liquid tube came out without incident but I am killing myself to get this gas tube out with a wrench.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2011, 04:17 PM   #2
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

If you're using a socket wrench, use one with a longer handle. I couldn't budge my first corny keg (used) with the standard handle length, or with a box wrench. I put a 12" long pipe onto the ratchet handle and simply gave the pipe end a couple of taps with my hand and it broke free. I would get some iron pipe to do this, so that it stands up to anything you could throw at it. Far cheaper than getting a ratchet with a long handle. Or, if you have a friend with a good tool set, see if he has a breaker bar you can borrow (with the socket size to match your keg). That will probably do it in a second or two.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
terrapinj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 167 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 533

maybe try lightly tapping the bottom upwards from inside the keg to see if you can get it to pop up you could also try submerging the keg upside down in hot water to see if it loosens it up a bit

Old 10-16-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Are you talking about the tupe itself or the ball lock fitting? If the tube itself, I would just use something like a wood cooking tool to press it up from the inside. You don't want to force that, or hit it too hard. If it's the lock itself, then see my earlier post.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I was talking about the hex shaped nut on top of the keg, the piece that is attached to the exterior of the poppet.

Moot point anyway, after much struggle I called American Brewmaster (where I got the keg) and they offered to trade it in for another one. Those folks really are the best brew shop I have seen in North Carolina.

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Quick Reply