Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dip tube

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
dmbnpj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Dip tube

I just made one tonight (soldered) and it doesnt work. I have a female 1/2" coupler on the inside of the keg connected to the spigot. From there, I made the dip tube. The dip tube is all copper, consisting of a male threaded piece about 6 inches of 1/2" pipe, a 90 degree elbow and another couple inches down to the bottom of the keg with a little bit of room to spare between the bottom of the dip tube and the keg. I tested with water filling it just above the spigot on the inside of the keg and opened the drain. The water drained out until it reached the bottom of the spigot but still left the remaining 2 gallons or so in the bottom. I also tried connecting a piece of nylon tubing to the spigot on the outside of the keg and let that hang down below the bottom of the keg and the water still stopped at the same spot leaving those 2 gallons inside. What could be going wrong?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
mw20
Recipes 

I just made one for my keggle last weekend. It sounds like you have a leak, maybe where your dip tube is connected to the inside of your valve. One other thing, when I tested mine, I put at least a full 5 gallons of water in and then started the drain. I don't know if more liquid starts the siphon off better but it may be worth trying.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:42 AM   #3
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I used pipe joint compound on the male threads of the copper dip tube and threaded that into the stainless steel female coupling that is connected to the spigot. Dont see how that could have leaked but maybe you are right about the amount of water inside?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
mw20
Recipes 

dmbnpj, did you get it to work?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

nope i havent had the chance to try it today but i really dont know what can be fixed

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

do you use teflon tape on the male threads that are on the inside of your keg? or do you use pipe joint compound?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Do you have tubing on the spigot outside? If not then you are not getting enough siphon force to pull the water up and out of the keg. I have a 2 foot drop on mine and it drains the keg almost dry.

Doh just reread your post there must be some air getting in to stop the siphon. When you added the tubing did you refill the keg?

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will try again by redoing the threads with teflon tape. But, I want to make sure teflon tape can withstand boiling? Because I always wrap the crap out of the male threads and there is always a little bit exposed at the end that I am worried about.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
mw20
Recipes 

I've got teflon tape on all my connections on the outside of the brewpot. My dip tube and elbow is soldered. I've got a compression fitting where the dip tube hooks up to the inside of my weldless bulkhead. I would try a few gallons more to get it started. With a small volume of liquid , I don't think the siphon gets started right.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What kind of compression fitting? My setup sounds just like yours except for that fitting. The dip tube I made is all copper and has a male threaded end that screws into my weldless bulkhead. I am interested in what sort of fitting you used here. Got a picture of it?

Quick Reply