Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dingemans Pilsn Malt 60 Minute boil and DMS potential

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #1
anico4704
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Dingemans Pilsn Malt 60 Minute boil and DMS potential

I will be making a Kolsch with almost 7lbs of Dingemans Pils malt, and 2 pounds of white wheat malt.

I was wondering first of all will a 60 minute boil be enough? I have a 8 gallon kettle with a massive boil off rate. Every time I brew its 2 gallon boil off per hour, and I normally start with 7.2 gallons which is really as high as I can go. So I would normally end up with 5 gallons almost on the dot into the fermenter, leaving most cold and hot break in the fermenter.

So basically if I did a 90 minut boil I would be down to 4.5 gallons at the most, and I wanted at least 5 gallons.

I have done another recipe with 4 lbs of the same pils and 7lbs of wheat, but that was a hef and it turned out amazing.

Am I going to have an issue with the mainly pils recipe and DMS?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #2
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

It sounds like you just want confirmation to what you already know.

Supposedly you are supposed to cook pilsner wort for 90 minutes to burn off undesirables. So boil your wort for 30 minutes before you start your 60 minute timer and you will be good to go.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
anico4704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
It sounds like you just want confirmation to what you already know.

Supposedly you are supposed to cook pilsner wort for 90 minutes to burn off undesirables. So boil your wort for 30 minutes before you start your 60 minute timer and you will be good to go.
So if I boil 30 minutes in the beginning without adding any hops or anything, can I top it off with tap water before i start the 60 minute boil, or does that screw things up?

Old 02-01-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
iambeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anico4704 View Post
So if I boil 30 minutes in the beginning without adding any hops or anything, can I top it off with tap water before i start the 60 minute boil, or does that screw things up?
pretty much... since you are using all grain, (I assumed) you can keep using sparge water instead of tap water.

as long as the sparge gravity doesn't get to below 1.01, to be safe

Old 02-01-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
anico4704
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
pretty much... since you are using all grain, (I assumed) you can keep using sparge water instead of tap water.

as long as the sparge gravity doesn't get to below 1.01, to be safe
Ok now i'm confused, so I was going to fully mash and do a batch sparge and bring everything to a boil at 7.25 gallons. At the 30 minute mark (60 minutes left in the boil, I was going to then add the needed water to get it back up to 7.25 gallons again so I end up with 5 gallons. Is this not what you are talking about? You threw me for a loop with the sparge water gravity being above 1.01

Old 02-01-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
iambeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anico4704 View Post
Ok now i'm confused, so I was going to fully mash and do a batch sparge and bring everything to a boil at 7.25 gallons. At the 30 minute mark (60 minutes left in the boil, I was going to then add the needed water to get it back up to 7.25 gallons again so I end up with 5 gallons. Is this not what you are talking about? You threw me for a loop with the sparge water gravity being above 1.01
You can't really go wrong... So either way just boil for 30 minutes before you start your 60 minute timer.

Quick Reply