Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Difference between using dried hops and fresh hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #1
atakanokan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Difference between using dried hops and fresh hops?

Hi everyone,
I have some dried hops available, so I curiously wonder if there is a difference between dried and fresh hops addition to the wort in the aspect of AAUs and bitterness.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2202 Times on 1918 Posts
Likes Given: 1651

Using fresh hops is called wet hopping. I don't think it gives any more AA% or bittering,just a different sort of flavor.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Brew Setups
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 338 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've always heard that it takes 4X the amount of wet hops to = the utilization of dry hops due to the way the oils are utilized in each form. You also can only really use wet hops within a day or two of harvest, which is in the early fall here in the northern hemisphere. If it's not right off the vine, it isn't going to add a pleasent taste/aroma to the beer.

There really aren't many good reasons to use fresh wet hops IMHO unless you actually have direct access to the vines.

Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Mango Habenero Berliner Weisse
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Oktoberfest
Keg #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Keg #3 - Pumpkin Ale
Bottled - NONE!

unionrdr Likes This 
Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 244 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherM View Post
I've always heard that it takes 4X the amount of wet hops to = the utilization of dry hops due to the way the oils are utilized in each form. You also can only really use wet hops within a day or two of harvest, which is in the early fall here in the northern hemisphere. If it's not right off the vine, it isn't going to add a pleasent taste/aroma to the beer.

There really aren't many good reasons to use fresh wet hops IMHO unless you actually have direct access to the vines.
I dont think it has to do with the way the hops oils are utilized. I think it just has to do with the fact that wet hops are just that,full of water.

If you stick 1oz of dry hops in a batch, you proably need 4-5oz of wet hops to get the same amount of lupulin into the wort. Those 4-5oz of wet hops if dried down to 1oz would be the same as your store bought 1oz, if that makes sense.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
pkrath84
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Seems that the general rule of thumb is to use 10% more or so of leaf hops over pellets. The reason being that the pellets are already crushed and the glands which contain the essence have been bursted open and isomerization takes place more readily due to increased surface area.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:15 AM   #6
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 84 Posts

Not sure what the article says, but this month's BYO (which just arrived at my house today) has an article on wet hops. Maybe check that out.

Quick Reply