The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > difference between steeped grain and mini-mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
jar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default difference between steeped grain and mini-mash

What makes steeping grains different from a relatively inefficient mini-mash? It seems to me that steeping and mashing both involve holding the grains at 150F or so for a period of time. But I see mentioned that certain malts can't be used for steeping due to lack of conversion. What's the difference that I'm missing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Usually steeping involved dropping the grain bag into the water while you are strating to heat it then pulling out when the temp hits 170. Not really held at mash temps very long and not a specific temp either.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 08-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
jar

Recipes 

The recipe from the kit I brewed this past sunday had me heat the water to a specfic temp (150 something, I can check at home), put the grain in, and hold the temp for 10 minutes. It's obviously very easy to lengthen this time if that makes a difference.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Surprised it only called for ten minutes; most steeped-grain recipes call for twenty or thirty minutes.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Leave it for at least 30 minutes. 1 hr if at 150, 30 min if at 158. Howtobrew.com for more info

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 08-02-2006, 11:44 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Quote:
But I see mentioned that certain malts can't be used for steeping due to lack of conversion.
That IS the difference. If you only use grains that do not require conversion, it is steeping; if you use grains that require conversion mixed with enough 2-row (or other enzyme provider) to convert them, it's a mini-mash.

(If you steep grains that require conversion, you get starch haze).

Mini-mashes are not inefficient. My extraction/conversion rates are as high or higher than I get for AG.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-03-2006, 05:09 AM   #7
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

david 42 hit the nail on the head. Only specialty grains that have undergone a special heat stewing process, and malts that have been roasted, and have had their starches converted to sugar inside the kernels, can be steeped IE..caramel a.k.a. crystal malts, roasted barley, chocolate malt, black patent malt etc. All that is occurring during the steep is to extract the already converted sugars, flavors and the colors from the grains.

All other malts of the two row, and six row variety, classified as base malts and kilned malts must be mashed at strict temperatures and times in order to activate enzymes that were created during the malting process. These enzymes, in turn, convert the starches in the kernels into fermentable sugars.

John

Last edited by johnsma22; 08-03-2006 at 05:13 AM.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #8
kmac666
Recipes 

I'm bringing this post back to life. So if I am doing a mini mash that also calls for specialty grains, I mix the malt and specialty grains together and heat for whatever recipe calls for, say 90 minutes at 150 degrees? Then sparge after. I don't mini mash and steep the specialty grain separately, right, I simply combine malt and specialty grains into one step? Thanks!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 699 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Put them all in there together. If the water is the right temperature (within a narrow range) the malt will convert and the rest of the grains will be steeped. One easy step. Make sure you have them crushed so the water can get to all the goodness.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #10
Verio
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac666 View Post
I'm bringing this post back to life. So if I am doing a mini mash that also calls for specialty grains, I mix the malt and specialty grains together and heat for whatever recipe calls for, say 90 minutes at 150 degrees? Then sparge after. I don't mini mash and steep the specialty grain separately, right, I simply combine malt and specialty grains into one step? Thanks!
Yooper helped me out on this thread a lot. Hope t helps you...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/part...erence-213677/

Quick Reply